CPU Noise?

Des_Zac

If I were to put Ubuntu onto a flash drive, then put it in the comp... could I copy it over to the hard drive then delete it from the flash drive?

wolfeking

banned
yes. once its booted to the flash drive its the same install as the disk. Once installed, just format the flash drive and it will be empty again.

Des_Zac

Okay, because I payed $10 dollars for this 4Gb flash drive! *Dramatic music*

Anyways, heres to hoping the old piece of crap can run Ubuntu 11.04! If not I guess I'll have to find an older operating system.. but I'm pretty sure the old thing ran XP so I'm not too worried.

wolfeking

banned
Im not sure on 11.04, But I ran 10.04 on a IBM A20m with 550MHz P3 and 256Mb of Ram. It lagged a bit, mainly delayed app loading. Sister loved it for word processing, and it ran the internet fine, Till it got destroyed via truck tire.

Short story, Pretty much anything will run Ubuntu, but dont expect instant performance from low range equipment.

Des_Zac

Oh, lol it should run fine then... It's running at 800mhz and 256mb of RAM.. so I guess that's a yes, which OS would you compare Ubuntu to if you were explaining it to somebody?

Oh, and how about them PSUs?

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
It is what I use to explain other Linux OSes to.
Maybe start by explaining that its 100% free for the OS and 99% of apps are free (there are some newer apps that are paid).

as for PSU's, read the sig.

Des_Zac

I know the PSU thing was a joke :D

I think I'm gonna just order the Ubuntu OS 5 pack because my internet is only running at 60kbps and the download says 1 day left... I'm getting comcast but they have yet to hook it up because we had comcast like 10 years ago, and have the wire rolled up in our house so we have to get it set up.

Also which is better Ubuntu or Kubuntu?

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
I personally use Ubuntu, but the use is purely personal choice. You may want to ask down on the OS forum for help on making your choice.