CPU over-temperature problem

Yordi

Hello, I am having some troubles with my cpu core lately, it's temperature is reaching 100+ C which causes my games to lagg or even shut down my pc. I have a Intel Core i7 5820K (Hashwell-E), two case fans and a cpu watercooler Corsair watercooling H80i. While I only use around 10% of the CPU it's temperature is around 75C, I'm not sure if this is relevant.

Any suggestions to what I should investigate? I already removed loads of dust from the H80i but it still sometimes gives over-temp problems.

Some additional info

I am using two displays aswell, one for gaming and the other for discord/Skype/whatsapp.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 9
Last edited by a moderator:

Yordi

I have re-attached my water cooler to the cpu, but that didn't help. I did notice that the thermal paste was maybe a bit spread thin. I never applied it myself, the store I bought the pc from did. It has been like 2,5 years since I bought the pc, so could it be that the paste has to be refreshed? I game on a daily base for like 7 hours on a college day or 14 hours on a day off, so it has had alot to endure the last 2,5 years.

Yordi

I think the pump is fine, since one of the liquidtubes is very hot and the other one room temperature. Or could it be that the flow is too slow?

_Kyle_

I have re-attached my water cooler to the cpu, but that didn't help. I did notice that the thermal paste was maybe a bit spread thin. I never applied it myself, the store I bought the pc from did. It has been like 2,5 years since I bought the pc, so could it be that the paste has to be refreshed? I game on a daily base for like 7 hours on a college day or 14 hours on a day off, so it has had alot to endure the last 2,5 years.
As long as it covers a majority of the CPU die it should be fine. Can you hear the pump? It should make a clicking or grinding sound. Also check if the radiators fan is running.

Also: Thermal paste only acts as a bridge between the two metals, and I have never had a scenario where it needed to be replaced unless the heatsink was changed.

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
Sounds like the pump died, I think @Darren had a similar experience with the H100.
I think the pump is fine, since one of the liquidtubes is very hot and the other one room temperature.
That tells you 100% that the water is not traversing both sides of the pump, so that would be more indicative of a pump problem as opposed to ruling it out.

I think those come with a 5 year warranty, you could open a RMA case with Corsair to get a replacement.

Yordi

Thanks for your assistance, I will contact the seller about warranty of the watercooler and get it checked :)

Yordi

As long as it covers a majority of the CPU die it should be fine. Can you hear the pump? It should make a clicking or grinding sound. Also check if the radiators fan is running.

Also: Thermal paste only acts as a bridge between the two metals, and I have never had a scenario where it needed to be replaced unless the heatsink was changed.

I'm not sure if I can hear a pump, since the case fan is always going full speed and makes alot of noise. Is there another way to find out?

_Kyle_

I'm not sure if I can hear a pump, since the case fan is always going full speed and makes alot of noise. Is there another way to find out?
Corsairs pumps are usually very audible, so judging from this and other comments above your pump is most likely dead.

Yordi

I just let my cpu cool down so the fans wouldn't run full speed at startup. I listened to the cooler I could obviously only hear the fan going slowly.
So is the pump suposed to be quiet when the fan speed and temp are low, or is it Always suposed to be noisy?

_Kyle_

I just let my cpu cool down so the fans wouldn't run full speed at startup. I listened to the cooler I could obviously only hear the fan going slowly.
So is the pump suposed to be quiet when the fan speed and temp are low, or is it Always suposed to be noisy?
Typically Corsairs have noisy pumps so it should be audible. It is either dead or spinning very slowly. Either way you will need to get it repaired or buy a new cooler. I would recommend a good, high quality air cooler. They are more reliable and last longer. Check out BeQuiet, they make some good coolers, and AIO's as well, if you still want watercooling.