CPU overheating problem

nickrice

Recently my Computer has been overheating quite a bit especialy when playing games e.g Half life 2, counter strike etc. I installed motherboard monitor and it said my CPU was running at 53 degrees whith no apps running. I Thought that was a bit hot seeing I have 2 case fans. so i opened it up and a small fan beetween the CPU and my graphics card was not running when i turned it on. i have not overclocked the CPU at all and only slightly OC my graphics card. my specs are.
Athlon 3000+
Abit nf7-s
radeon 9600xt 256mb
1024mb ddr ram

1. Is this fan not working causing me the overhating problems or something else
2. IS the fan not working a common problem for my MOBO or has it just clapped out

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I Thought that was a bit hot seeing I have 2 case fans
Case fans (especiall noname ones) mean jack all for CPU temps ... well they help a bit .. but only if the HSF is good. If you're running the stock HSF then I think you're starting to run into the tempertature threshold for the stock HSF

i opened it up and a small fan beetween the CPU and my graphics card was not running when I turned it on.
You mean the northbridge cooler (i.e., is it attatched to the motherboard)

Is this fan not working causing me the overhating problems or something else
I suspect its a combination of the limitation of the HSF and a not-powerful-enough rear fan

IS the fan not working a common problem for my MOBO or has it just clapped out
Not really a common problem, prolly just fluke .. i assume youve got it working now

nickrice

I think i will buy a new heat sink fan any recomendations on which to buy (cheaper the better :p ) and i think the fan on the bridge is broken seeing its a fairly new computer i will ring the people i bought it from and ask for a replacment fan or board (seeing as I just realised they sent me wrong board anyway).

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
The Thermaltake Volcano12 is a superb performance fan while the Thermaltake Silentboost K7 is a more silent oriented fan :)

pat

i had a the same thing .. the comp had been running for about a year and i noticed the cpu was running hot. I simply removed the fan and heatsink and cleaned away all the dust sticking to it .. after that it was running cool again .. you would hardly believe that a little dust would make any difference.. please remember if you remove the heatsink you will need to renew he compound between the cpu and the heatsink.. good luck .. pat