cpu overheating

chris0147

Hey guys,

I need your help as I am stuck and I dont really know what to do. I have got a problem with my laptop as there are something that are making to run really slow so I would need to investigate it to find out what the problem is and where the trouble is coming from.

I have installed windows 7 on my new hard drive as I think there is something wrong with my old hard drive as it is running slow when I boots into windows but i am not really sure if it is the hard drive or the CPU. However when I installed windows 7 and used my laptop for a bit, I ran the program to test my CPU temperature to see how hot it is. I found that my cpu temperature are overheating which it is between 60c to 85c so I shut it down and I ran the memtest but it got crashes during the test so I can't find out what the problem is.

Can you please advice me with what I need to do and how i can find out if i have got a bad cpu, memory and a bad hard drive?

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You most likely have dust bunnies or animal hair blocking the fan that cools the cpu. There should be an air vent that you can shine a light in to see if the fan is blocked. Or its possible the thermal pad is gave out and it needs replaced. If aren't familiar with taking apart a laptop, you will need to take it in and have the pad replaced but check the air vent first. If its clogged, then take a can of compressed air and gently blow it out. Don't go full force as you can ruin the fan.

chris0147

You most likely have dust bunnies or animal hair blocking the fan that cools the cpu. There should be an air vent that you can shine a light in to see if the fan is blocked. Or its possible the thermal pad is gave out and it needs replaced. If aren't familiar with taking apart a laptop, you will need to take it in and have the pad replaced but check the air vent first. If its clogged, then take a can of compressed air and gently blow it out. Don't go full force as you can ruin the fan.

Thank you for your reply. I will have to take it all out and have a quick look to see what the problem is. If there is dust on the fan I will clean it all off and put it back on, but what if it still don't cools the cpu?

If it don't cools the cpu, does that mean I have a damage fan or have a bad cpu?

If I have a bad fan, do I need to replace it?

If I have a bad cpu, do you know where I can find one from or if I would have to get a new motherboard, cpu and ram?

And I want to know how do I know that if my old hard drive have bad sectors or if the hard drive is about to go?

When I tried to copy the files from my laptop hard drive to my pc hard drive, it takes ages to copy all of my files. There are no clicks noise on the hard drive so I want to know why it take ages to copy all of my files and what the problem is?

The name of the cpu I got is Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P7450 Socket P (478), the name of the motherboard is Toshiba KSKAA and the name of the old hard drive I got is called Toshiba MK5055GSX 500GB.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I doubt you have a bad cpu. Most of the time, the vent is just blocked with dust. Can you hear a fan running at all? What exact model of laptop do you have? How much ram is installed?

chris0147

I doubt you have a bad cpu. Most of the time, the vent is just blocked with dust. Can you hear a fan running at all? What exact model of laptop do you have? How much ram is installed?

Oh right. If I do have a bad cpu, is it possible if i can replace it?

No I cant hear a fan is running so I would need to get someone to hear it if there is a problem with the fan. The exact model of laptop I have is called Toshiba Satellite A500. The ram I have installed is 4gb.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I can tell you that the laptop is about 9 years old or so and its probably time for a new one. If the fan died, you can probably replace it providing parts are still made for it.

chris0147

I can tell you that the laptop is about 9 years old or so and its probably time for a new one. If the fan died, you can probably replace it providing parts are still made for it.

yeah i know so if there is a problem with my cpu and if it is not a good idea to buy a second hand cpu, is it possible if i can buy a new motherboard, cpu and ram to be fit in my laptop?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You would be better off buying a new laptop. But I still think its either a bad fan, clogged vent or thermal pad needs replaced.

Darren

Staff member
Quite frankly that laptop is relatively worthless at this point. Just buy a new one. I wouldn't even spend the money to replace the fan. If dusting it out doesn't work just replace it.

chris0147

You would be better off buying a new laptop. But I still think its either a bad fan, clogged vent or thermal pad needs replaced.

Why should I?

Why cant i get a new motherboard, cpu and ram??

I dont want to get another laptop as I love mine so I dont want to change it. I dont mind to get new motherboard, cpu and ram if I have to but it will cost me money.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Because you don't understand that laptop cases are always changing. You won't find a new motherboard for it unless its an exact replacement as your old one, you won't be able to use a new cpu or new ram. Laptops aren't like desktop's to where you can replace parts easily.

So its been 24 hours since creation of this thread, have you checked for dust in the vent or is the fan not working?

chris0147

Because you don't understand that laptop cases are always changing. You won't find a new motherboard for it unless its an exact replacement as your old one, you won't be able to use a new cpu or new ram. Laptops aren't like desktop's to where you can replace parts easily.

So its been 24 hours since creation of this thread, have you checked for dust in the vent or is the fan not working?

I am not aware of that. I thought it would be possible to find a new motherboard, cpu and ram like desktop does. I dont want to get a new laptop because I have already got one, but I don't like the look of the new laptop as the layout looks horrible and I prefer mine as it looks great better than any other laptop. I want to use my laptop for business use only.

However, I have just run memtest again with each memory stick. It's working fine as there is no errors and it did not get crash totally but it will crash totally when I run two memory at the same time.

I guess there is something wrong with the CPU?

Darren

Staff member
I am not aware of that. I thought it would be possible to find a new motherboard, cpu and ram like desktop does. I dont want to get a new laptop because I have already got one, but I don't like the look of the new laptop as the layout looks horrible and I prefer mine as it looks great better than any other laptop. I want to use my laptop for business use only.

However, I have just run memtest again with each memory stick. It's working fine as there is no errors and it did not get crash totally but it will crash totally when I run two memory at the same time.

I guess there is something wrong with the CPU?
CPU's don't fail, like really ever unless you're overclocking on a desktop and fry it.

That laptop is like 9 years old and pretty much worthless. You could go to a shop and buy a used one for 100 bucks that would be faster. It's not worth spending money on, plain and simple. It makes no economic sense to spend 150 bucks replacing a motherboard (if you can even find it as old as it is) when it's worth not even close to that. Even a new 300 Walmart laptop would be miles ahead in speed, and if you go used you can get good laptops for under 300 easily.

chris0147

CPU's don't fail, like really ever unless you're overclocking on a desktop and fry it.

That laptop is like 9 years old and pretty much worthless. You could go to a shop and buy a used one for 100 bucks that would be faster. It's not worth spending money on, plain and simple. It makes no economic sense to spend 150 bucks replacing a motherboard (if you can even find it as old as it is) when it's worth not even close to that. Even a new 300 Walmart laptop would be miles ahead in speed, and if you go used you can get good laptops for under 300 easily.

Oh I see, well I haven't been overclocking on my CPU as I was watching the live stream as the CPU usage was 100% before the damage was done. If i get another laptop can i take off the front screen and put my original front screen with assy top cover to put it on the new laptop?