Cpu Overkill?

Gatecrasher

it takes a game like Doom3 to show you how in need of a upgrade your PC really is, so im looking at some new parts.
#1 being a new video card, and that is going to be the 6800GT
but #2 is where im stuck, the cpu.
what im going to be doing is playing the next gen of games like doom3 and half life 2. also with some high demanding programs.
the cpu's that im looking at are the AMD 64 3000, and the XP 3000.
two very different cpu's.
the 64 is what most people would go for, but for what im going to be doing is the 64 way more then i need? the reason that i would like to know is that i already have a socket A motherboard and if i got the XP it would save me a lot of money, and that is a good thing.

Last edited:

kof2000

just make sure ur current MB and the cpu or other stuff matches or equals or you wont get all the juice out.

Gatecrasher

well i have a socket A motherboard, so if i got the XP i would not need to upgrade anything. but if i got the 64 i would need a new motherboard and i would also upgrade my DDR......
so im hoping that the XP is all i need and that the 64 is way more then i need

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
what im going to be doing is playing the next gen of games like doom3 and half life 2. also with some high demanding programs. the cpu's that im looking at are the AMD 64 3000, and the XP 3000.
Halflife 2 doesnt belong in the category involving high demanding programs ;) it takes awhile to load but once it loads, its smooth as hell

the 64 is what most people would go for, but for what im going to be doing is the 64 way more then I need?
If you can afford it, get the Athlon64 -- the AthlonXP line has ended with the XP3000 and XP3200 being slated for termination later

but if I got the 64 I would need a new motherboard and I would also upgrade my DDR......
Well obviously about the new mobo but theres no need to upgrade the memory. Regardless the upgrade is worth it.

so im hoping that the XP is all I need and that the 64 is way more then I need
Sorry to break it to ya... the AthlonXP is quite obsolete -- especially when you consider things like Doom3. Either get a P4C or get an Athlon64 (of course only if your budget allows)... the A32 days are over :)

Gatecrasher

i see, but i guess i should be happy
because the 64 is going to kick ass

also what CPU 64 do you think i should go for then, i mean is the 3000 way to much power then i need.
i know this may sound like a dumb question, but the clock speed of the 3000 is only 2.00GHz, does that mean it runs only at 2.00GHz speed? i know the FSB is 1600mhz but will 2.00GHz get the job done?

kof2000

not an amd dude but is it the same with amd that the memory determines the fsb of them too like athlon64 running lower than 1600mhz fsb

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
not an amd dude but is it the same with amd that the memory determines the fsb of them too like athlon64 running lower than 1600mhz fsb
Athlon64s dont have a discrete FSB ... it's built into the chip. They also dont have discrete memory controllers, thats built intot he chip too. And never has the memory ever determined the FSB, they have always been separately adjustable factors.

Gatecrasher

so even though the clock speed is only 2.00MHz, its still very fast because the FSB speed is almost parallel with the clock speed?

why is it when i see some benchmarks for the 64's it says that the FSB speed is only 800, or sometimes lower. is it because the application that’s testing the benchmarks is only demanding that much MHz from the FSB?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
the funny thing about this is that i would not be spending much more on the 64 3000 then if i got the XP 3000.......
Uh... isnt that kinda obvious???

so even though the clock speed is only 2.00MHz, its still very fast because the FSB speed is almost parallel with the clock speed?
1. Its 2.0Ghz
2. There is no FSB as its built into the chip

Gatecrasher

you would think because the 64 its the new model that it would cost much more, just like everything else that’s new to technology

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
you would think because the 64 its the new model that it would cost much more, just like everything else that’s new to technology
The A64 has been around for a very long time now and some of them are cheap eough to compete with A32s