CPU/PSU upgrade?

just get a new computer. If you want to make it faster and not buy a whole new system, you would upgrade the ram before you upgrade the cpu
 
Hey, I'm at my brothers house right now, his computer had a virus or something and I had to fix that. But, I started thinking I'd like to upgrade the CPU in this computer, but I will also need to upgrade the PSU, so what kind of CPU could I get that would fit into this computer, and, what kind of PSU would I need to power the system. Here is the system. http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=T6528

It is a AMD socket 939 board. Specs are here and here
Being a discontinued socket you'll have to probably go to the used market to do a CPU upgrade.

Computer uses a 300 watt ATX 24 pin PSU so unless you are planning to use a higher end vid card, 400 to 450 watts should be more than enough power.
 
It is a AMD socket 939 board. Specs are here and here
Being a discontinued socket you'll have to probably go to the used market to do a CPU upgrade.

Computer uses a 300 watt ATX 24 pin PSU so unless you are planning to use a higher end vid card, 400 to 450 watts should be more than enough power.

hey, i have a 939 too in my custom computer
 
I might get a 550 watt just incase, any CPU's you would recommend. Or PSU's, also Krazy, he doesn't have enough money to buy a new system, this system is fine for him, I just want to make it a little faster it already has 3 gigs of ram in it.
 
I might get a 550 watt just incase, any CPU's you would recommend. Or PSU's, also Krazy, he doesn't have enough money to buy a new system, this system is fine for him, I just want to make it a little faster it already has 3 gigs of ram in it.

I have an amd 3600 dual core, and it's plenty fast for me with 1gig of ram. I run windows xp.. If the computer has vista, that could be the cause of all the problems, windows 7 is a lot faster, and I run it on my small low performance netbook
 
Dont even bother with that unit. Emachines units run such cheap motherboards, its probably got something along the lines of a 2phase PWM on the motherboard,and wont provide effective power to the cpu, if the bios would even support the chip. Not to mention socket 939 dual core cpu's are relatively expensive due to their semi rarity and people wanting to upgrade old machines like you want to. You would be better off investing in a cheap AM2+ mobo/cpu and some cheap ddr2 memory.
 
^ He'd have to buy windows again as well
Not entirely necessicarily, unless the computer did not come with an OS cd, as the windows license is for a single computer, and although its usually somewhat tied to the motherboard if you call microsoft and explain they will activate it.
 
Back
Top