CPU Questions AM3 with a AM2+ board

Izombie247

New Member
Yo.. I just have a pretty simple question. I currently have a AMD Phenom x3, 8750 which is a am2+ socket in my AM2+ motherboard. Now, my question is.. If I replace that one with my other CPU which is a AMD Phenom II X2 550 socket AM3.. Will it boost my performance or will it not make a difference. I know it makes a diff because AM3 boards are DDR3 but as far as a AM3 being any better in a AM2+, DDR2 board, I'm not sure of. I appreciate any help before I go buy some thermal paste. Hope that question makes sense.. LOL
 
a motherboard that has am2+ will be able to use an am3 cpu (with a bios flash as mentioned). it is very easy to flash the bios. am2/am2+/am3 all have the same pin layout so they are all compatible with each other (or will at least fit in the different cpu/motherboard combinations). however, am2+ cpus will not work with am3 motherboard since they lack the ddr3 memory controller.
 
As far as the two CPUs you mentioned, I wouldn't really expect to see very much of a performance increase. The 550 is barely better than the 8750. Benchmark scores show little increase, but those benchmarks were done with DDR3 for the 550. So, yes it will work fine, but don't do it expecting a large increase in performance. Get a Phenom II X3 710 or above if you want that.
 
As far as the two CPUs you mentioned, I wouldn't really expect to see very much of a performance increase. The 550 is barely better than the 8750. Benchmark scores show little increase, but those benchmarks were done with DDR3 for the 550. So, yes it will work fine, but don't do it expecting a large increase in performance. Get a Phenom II X3 710 or above if you want that.


THANK YOU!!! That's all I wanted to know.. LOL.. I was waiting for a straight answer. Thanx to every one else who tried to help as well.
 
Back
Top