CPU Temperature Monitor

ssal

I downloaded Open Hardware Monitor to check the temperature of the machine because I was having some overheating issue with my HP8470p.

I am not sure how does the app report the CPU temperature.

Does the machine has a mechanics of temperature sensor built in and the software was reporting the actual temperature from the sensor? Or it just does some mathematic calculation based on the activities going thru the CPU?

I have a cooler pad running when I do heavy duty processing. I believe the external fan forcing cool air into the machine would lower the temperature a bit. But if the app is based on calculation, the reported temperature would be the same with or without the fan because the fan is external, not part of the machine.

Also, Open Hardware Monitor reported 100 degree C. What is the max. temperature that the machine can take?

aldan

I downloaded Open Hardware Monitor to check the temperature of the machine because I was having some overheating issue with my HP8470p.

I am not sure how does the app report the CPU temperature.

Does the machine has a mechanics of temperature sensor built in and the software was reporting the actual temperature from the sensor? Or it just does some mathematic calculation based on the activities going thru the CPU?

I have a cooler pad running when I do heavy duty processing. I believe the external fan forcing cool air into the machine would lower the temperature a bit. But if the app is based on calculation, the reported temperature would be the same with or without the fan because the fan is external, not part of the machine.

Also, Open Hardware Monitor reported 100 degree C. What is the max. temperature that the machine can take?
a lot less than 100c for sure.have you blown the dust out and replaced the heatsink compound?hw reports from the sensor.

Darren

Staff member
It's not uncommon for them to read really high values if the sensor isn't reading right. I'd try HWInfo, it's very detailed and tells you exactly what sensor it's reading and had better luck with its accuracy lately. CPU temp is generally measured as the "die" temp which is a sensor on the chip itself and then also a "socket" temp which is a sensor that resides within the CPU socket. The die, frequently called Tctl, is what you should go off of. Generally they're pretty accurate to real life temps but there is some calculation that goes into them to make it a smooth cooling curve. Generally you want to keep stuff under 80oC, preferably lower, esp on a desktop. It's not unusual for laptops to climb into the 80's. Socket temp you can usually disregard but if it's really high then usually means you're overvolting the CPU, not an issue unless you're overclocking.

OmniDyne

Depending on the processor, max temperature is 105°C, if it's a 3rd gen i5 or i7 mobile processor.

ssal

I ordered a tube of thermal paste and will try to re-glue the heat dissipater (?) to the GPU and CPU.
Is this a required process for CPU and GPU every so often. Does the video processing (encoding) that pushes the processing to 100% which generate heats makes this a necessity?

ssal

I ordered a small tube of thermal paste and it came yesterday. I'd just spent an hour disassembling both the HP8470p and Toshiba Satelite S855, cleaned it, blown out all the dust, cleaned out the old paste with alcohol, reapplied the new paste and then put them together.

The process is not that complicated. But I have to say, the HP took a lot less time to do because the casing is so well designed, it took no time (no screw) to get to the fan and processor. The Toshiba had 15 screws to remove. Had to dismount the internal HHD. A lot of plastic snaps to unsnapped (very scary, don't know if it break, don't know if it will resnap in place).

But both are well now. It seems to lower the temp on both machine by 10C degree. I also noticed that the external cooling pad lowers the temp by another 10C.