CPU Temps & Cooling

I've got an Intel 865PERL mobo with a P4 3.2GHz processor. I'm using a Zalman CNPS700A-AlCu cooling fan & heatsink, plus Arctic Silver 5 heat paste and 2 120mm fans (one in front, one in back).

A few days ago I was backing up a DVD of mine with my new DVD-RW and in the course of converting the file my system started to beep and it notified me that my system monitor was detecting temperatures that were higher than recommended for the CPU (52c).

Does anyone know what the normal operating temp for the CPU should be? At what temp should I start to worry about whether or not I'm causing the CPU permanent damage? Mine is usually around 47c without any heavy programs running.

Currently I use the Intel Active Monitor software that came with the Mobo, is there another program (preferably shareware/freeware) that works better?

Thanks.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
52C is fine; you should start considering other possibilities if it breach 60C. Anything ins excess of 69C should activate panic-mode :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
LOL chips can handle temps up to 95ºC ... regardless anything in excess of 69º should be seriously addressed :)

4W4K3

VIP Member
Praetor said:
LOL chips can handle temps up to 95ºC ... regardless anything in excess of 69º should be seriously addressed :)

all chips? my old chip's die temp was 65C, is that the temp its sposed to fry at, or just not be stable at?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Heres a sample of some chippies carefully arranged in random order
Coppermine - 80º
Celeraon Medocino 366 - 85ºC
Celeron II 667 - 82ºC
Willamette 1900 - 73ºC
Northwood 2200A - 69ºC
Celeraon II 533 - 90ºC
K75 750 - 70ºC
Thunderbird 1300 - 95ºC