CPU upgrade in Laptop

iAteBillyMays

I have a Lenovo IdeaPad Z565 and I would like to update my processor from AMD Phenom II Dual Core 3.0 GHz to AMD Phenom II Quad Core 3.2 GHz. Would this be safe for me to do or would I run into problems with compatibility or overheating? Thanks you!

wolfeking

banned
chances are you will run into a socket incompatibility. I am not 100% on this, but I am pretty sure that the Phenom II x4 lappy procs never hit 3.2 at all. You are probably looking at am AM3 processor.

Anytime you change a laptop processor, its a calculated risk. Be sure that you get the heatsink from your laptop model for the model processor your looking at to avoid overheating, and also be sure that the company installed your planned CPU in that laptop at some point, as BIOS support is the pits on most laptops.

turbodiesel

Laptop CPU's aren't supposed to be changed you would probaully have to upgrade the motherboard as well and they are usually soldered down

wolfeking

banned
actually not. Most are removable and upgradeable, but not much. The general rule is don't exceed what was a factory offering.

Laquer Head

actually not. Most are removable and upgradeable, but not much. The general rule is don't exceed what was a factory offering.

Exactly, you can remove/replace cpu in most laptops--but getting to the majority of them is a bloody nightmare of disassembling nearly the entire machine.

I highly doubt that you can upgrade a lenovo from a dual to a quad.

wolfeking

banned
not true. The upgrade process is difficult only to those fools that do not study how to do it before hand, much like a desktop. The only problemas you will have are the ones you make yourself. Just take your time and be methodical. A camera helps, take a picture everytime you disconnect something so you have a reference as to what goes where. For the removing screws and such, take a piece of paper and sketch approximately where each hole is, and tape the screws to the hole you drew for it to be sure that you put it back in the right hole. You will need thermal paste and the CPU, as well as any other parts you want to take care of while you are in there (like when I do mine I am installing the bluetooth moduel and a WWAN card, and replacing the subkeyboard RAM stick with a 4GB one).

Look for the service manual to your laptop, as it is your firend. It will have all the little tricky things that you might miss listed. Also, youtube is your best friend, look fr a video of dissambley of your laptop, and its just monkey see, monkey do.