CPU upgrade (is it worth it?)

spadjie

:confused:

Almost bough a new computer at christmas but looking at the prices i think i could pretty much build one myself for cheaper, but containing everything i want. Most computers i have seen around £500 have average everything, but iw want a good graphics card, processor and memory mainly.

I know i can easily add new dvd drives or memory so this isn't a problem. What i have heard is that the processor is not really worth changing because often the motherboard and pc setup is based around it, and if changed, things could go wrong. I have a gigabyte GA-7VAXP motherboard and an amd athlon 2400xp cpu.

Does anybody know any processors that would work well with this motherboard because i quite like the motherbord don't really want to change.
I'm thinking under £100 for the cpu and would like one for gaming.

Thanks a lot guys.:)

towly

Im not sure you're going to find many athlon xp's around anymore since socket A processors have been phased out already. I recommend you try and get a 64 bit processor like a mid-range athlon 64 (3400, 3500, etc) processor or an equivalent intel processor. For 500 pounds Im sure you can put together a decent gaming rig.

But if you want to stay with skt A I recommend you get a athlon xp mobile 2400+, they have the latest core for the athlon xp series and are very over-clockable.

spadjie

So say i did go for a 64 bit processor like a mid-range athlon 64 (3400, 3500, etc) would it work with the current motherboard?

As bobo says there is no point getting a new processor, What do u mean by this? Do you mean that there is no point getting a new processor with that motherboard?

Thanks

towly

yeah, as bobo said you'd need to get a completely new motherboard (skt 939) to accept an athlon 64. Again it wouldnt be worth the upgrade of the skt A processor since they dont make them any more (at least that I've seen) and honestly for the price that most 64's are selling for it'd make mores since to just do a complete system overhaul. I went from 32-bit agp system to this current setup and Im happier than hell with it.

towly

Actually Athlon 64s go in sockets 754 and AM2 too. ;)

lol, true, but havent they phased out the skt 754 as well? I havent seen many skt 754 mobos are processors being sold. I thought the only 64 sockets left where AM2 and 939 (you can count 940 for the opterons I guess), with the 939 being phased out slowly in favor of the AM2?