CPU upgrade recommendations!

slugger215

Hi Guys. I am upgrading my E670 chip for a QX9750, 3.16ghz and was just wondering what to upgrade on my system with it was thinking the RAM but cant switch to DDR3 with the MB I have so was going to go for PC6400 8GB but will vista 32bit run this? please see current specs below oh and PSU will I need to upgrade?
CPU: Intel core duo E6700
Ram: Corsair Value S. PC5300 DDR2 4GB
PSU: Fortron/Source Powersupply ATX 300W
Main Board: EVGA nForce 680i SLI, nForce-680i SLI,
Fan:Zalman CNPS9500LED Ultra Quiet
HDD: Samsung SpinPoint T166 400GB SATA2
Grapics Card: Gainward GeForce 8800GTS 640MB GDDR3,
Any Ideas on this would be great guys trying to run Microsoft FSX the best I can.
Thanks.

bomberboysk

If your looking to run FSX you dont need more than say a Q9400/Q9550 and a decent cooler(Xigmatek S1283V Dark Knight is a great budget cooler), and just overclock it to 3.8Ghz or so. Use the money you save over a QX series and get a GTX285 graphics card, FSX is also highly gpu intensive. Also upgrade your operating system to a 64bit operating system and you might wannna think about getting a decent power supply such as a Corsair 750TX.

Last edited:

A Cheese Danish

I'd recommend atleast a 600W power supply if you are looking to upgrade to a QX9750.
8GB will not be fully read under Vista 32-bit. You will need to get 64-bit.
Also, look towards upgrading your video card as well.

slugger215

Thanks bomberboysk. I am getting the CPU for free so want to build a decent system around it without changing to many components. Do Microsoft do a deal to upgrade form 32 to 64 bit vista or do you have to buy it all over again?

bomberboysk

Thanks bomberboysk. I am getting the CPU for free so want to build a decent system around it without changing to many components.

Oh ok, well for sure your gonna need to upgrade that psu, and for fsx a better gpu would help immensely. Vista x64 is a necessity if you are gonna upgrade to 8gb ram though.

bomberboysk

Any reconditions on the GPU only got the 8800 last year how quick things change :(

What kinda price range? The 8800gts is still a pretty good card, but if you wanna max it out you would want something newer like a 216core GTX260, Gtx275/280/285. Also noticed your in ireland, so where do you purchase your parts from?

slugger215

I work for Intel so CPU is free all other parts usually form komplett.ie good after sales service and that seem reasonable enough have a look see what you think!

slugger215

in around 300 euros bomberboysk about $410 seen one for 380 EVGA GeForce GTX 285 1GB PhysX CUDA looks ok but need to get some money back on my GTS first to pony up this cash again. thanks again for the help

Monolith1200

your already losing out on 1GB of RAM due to 32bit OS. upping to 8 is going to be a waste unless you step up to 64bit. 8GB is beyond excesive as well. enjoy the sitting idle performance as its unlikely you'll use it.