CPU Useage

shawy14

I am currenty looking at a laptop from someone who works with my dad. The problem is that it had a virus and was running very slow. I removed the virus uusing norton but there is another problem. It runs very very slow and normally crashes when loading up the taskbar. The CPU usage is at 100% all of the time. What should i do to decrease this? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

HumanMage

JD's right. Try and pinpoint the process (or whatever) that is causing the CPU usage to be so high. Ctrl Alt Delete will bring up the task manager, see if you can sniff around in the processes tab and manually turn off the larger resource ones and see how that does.

elitehacker

You don't need to "pinpoint" anything, just open up task manager and in the process tab, click on the CPU usage column and it will toggle between listing the processes using the most CPU power to the least and vice versa.

shawy14

thanks but have a problem. jus found that a program which uses 75% of it. but it wont let me disable it has anoyone got anyideas what i should do about it.

thanks

elitehacker

What is the name of the process? Most likely its Task manager itself, I have found that to happen sometimes. Telling us the name of the process would help.....

shawy14

the program is AppSvc32.exe it uses like 80% all of the time when i come to stop it running in task manager it says that access is denied. Anyway of stopping it running

PabloTeK

It sounds like Norton is acting up somewhere. You should either re-install it or find an alternative, the better idea is the second one.

J_D

In my opinion Norton security software is the worst on the market, worse still you have to pay for it, and in the UK I think its like 2x as expensive compared to US (but then that seems to be the case for all major software companies).

I would strongly recommend changing to a different antivirus provider. Just recently I purchased the latest issue of a computing magazine in the UK called PC Pro which has run a review on all major antivirus software (Pay for and Freeware).

See link http://www.pcpro.co.uk/labs/155/antivirus-software/products.html

Norton is the most expensive and basically at the bottom (what a surprise), and the software I use, Kaspersky (98% detection in their test compared to Norton’s 68%!) is at the top which I highly recommend for all the right reasons. Alternatively I also have a computer using AVG which is a good freeware program; however is not a nice a kaspersky in user experience.

But the choice is yours

JD