Cpu/voltage and e8400

tacohead

I have an e8400 and according to the intel website safe voltages are 0.85V – 1.3625V. Now I have my voltages set in bios just over 1.31 something. Would this be my actual voltage here? Because when I load up cpu-z or hw monitor I get a 1.29 reading. My problem really is that I'm stuck at a 425fsb with 9multilpier (3825mhz) on my e8400, any higher and windows just restarts like mad and then resets my bios. I heard of people cranking these things over 4ghz with ease, what am I doing wrong?

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLAPL#

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Bios voltage is showing correct, but you may see fluctuations in the voltage. A PSU that fails to deliver the specified 1.31 can really compromise an OC, especially under load, then again I wouldn't explicitly trust either of those programs to get a reliable reading.

You've either hit a FSB wall, the voltage is not high enough or isn't supplying copiously (note I'm not familiar with wolfsdale OCing, dunno what voltage should guarantee specific clocks), the RAM is unstable; if not already tried, lower RAM speed. There might be a couple other things. If you've hit an FSB wall you're done.

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
You may not have a good chip, but it could also be your memory causing the problems. Check you memory multiplier and voltage.

And the CPUZ reading is the correct voltage in windows, its called "vdrop". The voltage will be lower than what its set to in bios when in windows.