Cracked lcd screen

tg900

I cracked my lcd screen earlier today on an emachines laptop when i dropped it. What would be a good excuse to claim warranty :) ? and if they wouldnt do it for free, how much would it cost to repair it?
(irrevalant matter) Sorry about trying to adding my question into other posts, I don't like to create new threads when there are some that are almost close, and I know how much people on some forums say to search before you make a new thread.

Lax

VIP Member
I cracked my lcd screen earlier today on an emachines laptop when i dropped it. What would be a good excuse to claim warranty :) ? and if they wouldnt do it for free, how much would it cost to repair it?
(irrevalant matter) Sorry about trying to adding my question into other posts, I don't like to create new threads when there are some that are almost close, and I know how much people on some forums say to search before you make a new thread.

No problem, just that resurecting threads from almost a year ago ain't that cool. :D As for the screen, if it's not cracked too bad you can probably still use it. If it's beyond repair (broken cover, broken crystals) you may want to see if you can replace it via warrenty. If not then you might have to A. pay for a repair or B. buy a new laptop (which might be more worth it)

tg900

It's cracked pretty bad, you can only see what it says for about the top inch of the screen, the other is all different colors. Would you have any idea how much emachines would want to repair it? I'm going to call them eventually, but just to see if its even worth it as you said earlier.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
How long have you had the laptop, because sometimes, they will replace the screen in cases like this. Most of the time, it will cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $400-$500 to repair/replace the screen. But, it's different on different machines too, expect to pay in that range...

tg900

I've had it for about six months...it's a 17" widescreen...probably not going to be too cheap if i have to pay the whole thing. it's a emachines m5405, so who knows. Thanks for the approximate price range though.

Trizoy

VIP Member
I installed a replacement screen for a friend, was 200$ and was VERY easy to install. Look for it online.. Ill get back to you with some links and prices..

Last edited:

Trizoy

VIP Member
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
Mobile AMD Sempron™ 2800+ Processor Operates at 1.6GHz 256KB L2 Cache
512 MB DDR (PC 2700)
8-cell Lithium-ion (Li-ion)
60 GB HDD 1
DVD/CD-RW Combo (CD-read 24x; CD-write 24x; CD-rewrite 24x; DVD-read 8x)
15.4" Widescreen TFT LCD WXGA (1280 x 800 max. resolution)
SiS M760 Ultra 256 Graphics
UMA 64 MB (shared) Video Memory
Integrated 802.11g Wireless LAN, 10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet
56K ITU V.92 Fax/Modem
AC '97 Audio
Built-in Stereo Speakers
Touchpad with vertical Scroll Zone
3 USB 2.0 ports, 1 VGA external connector, Microphone In, Line Out, PCMCIA Slot (Card Bus type I and type II)
1.36"h x 14.0"w x 10.0"d
6.2 lbs. with battery
AOL 3 month membership included, click here for details
Pre-Installed Software: Microsoft Works 8.0, Microsoft Money 2004, Encarta Online, Adobe® Acrobat® Reader™, Power DVD, Microsoft Media Player, Real Player, Internet Explorer, AOL, Norton AntiVirus 2004 (90 day complimentary subscription)

Looks like a 15.4 widescreen-