Crappy PC to fruit with telemarketers - security precautions?

The VCR King

At least once a day I get a scam call from one of those Indian guys that says something along the lines of "we are detecting your computer sending out error messages, we need to remote access it." Blocking the number hasn't stopped them, they just spoof a new one. Threatening to take them to court for harassment hasn't worked either. So I managed to get an old XP machine from the thrift store up and running. My plan is to load it up with as many viruses and toolbars and bloat ware as possible so when I get one of those calls, I'll let them remote into that machine and I'll mess with them to waste their time. Since this machine would be in my home network, what can I do to make sure that when they remote the XP machine they can't find their way into the Beast, because it also has TeamViewer so I can remote it from my phone at school? Thank you

Darren

Staff member
A Virtual Machine would be way easier and arguably safer.

Don't waste your time, and maybe do a virus scan for good measure.

beers

Staff member
I probably wouldn't do all of that being on the same network as the rest of your other PCs.

As above a VM would be the easiest.

You could always run some obscure OS like RISC OS on a Raspberry Pi

_Pete_

You will spread viri all over your network not to mention the fact that your ISP will not like you accessing their systems with a badly virused machine. Buy a phone with a decent call blocker on it. I assume they have them in the States. I have bought one over here in UK and it has stopped my spam calls 100% the scamming gits don't like talking to the robot.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
They won't clean it without payment anyway. You waste so much money when you need a new system. QUIT WASTING MONEY AND MAKE BETTER DECISIONS!!!!!!

beers

Staff member
They won't clean it without payment anyway. You waste so much money when you need a new system. QUIT WASTING MONEY AND MAKE BETTER DECISIONS!!!!!!
He wasn't going to buy anything :p

Usually those spam calls just try to place malware on your system

The VCR King

I meant to say I got it free from the thrift store. It was originally $3 but I had one of their email coupons and got it free.

Darren

Staff member
I meant to say I got it free from the thrift store. It was originally $3 but I had one of their email coupons and got it free.
Man you'd have a field day if you saw the back room where I work. Literal mountains of XP machines.

The VCR King

Man you'd have a field day if you saw the back room where I work. Literal mountains of XP machines.
Nice! I actually scored a sealed install disc of XP at the thrift store with the install key so I used that to make an XP machine in VMware for old 32 bit games that 7 won't let me run.

I might make a second VM of XP for my scam machine :p

Darren

Staff member
Nice! I actually scored a sealed install disc of XP at the thrift store with the install key so I used that to make an XP machine in VMware for old 32 bit games that 7 won't let me run.

I might make a second VM of XP for my scam machine :p

You used a physical product key to activate a VM?