Crashing at splash screen

elobire

My computer keeps restarting whenever it gets to the Windows 7 splash screen. I tried installing Winodows 7 to a new hard drive and using that instead, but i get the same thing. i have ran diagnostics on the RAM and its working fine.

Anyone have any idea what the cause could be? The computer was working fine up until today.
Thanks.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
It could be a lot of things. Are you getting a blue screen or any error message? If you aren't sure if you are getting a blue screen, hold F8 as you start to boot, in the menu that appears pick "disable automatic restart on system failure" and post back any messages you get.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Since you have tried installing to a new hard drive and getting the same issue then I assume its either a motherboard or driver issue.

Try booting to safe mode and see if it will let you log onto windows.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Inaccessible boot device. Have you changed any BIOS settings related to your drive controller? i.e. switching it to AHCI, IDE, RAID, etc.

elobire

Inaccessible boot device. Have you changed any BIOS settings related to your drive controller? i.e. switching it to AHCI, IDE, RAID, etc.

I dont think so.
I just tried starting in safe mode, but now the computer shuts down before i get the chance to select safe mode.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Either overheating or a bad piece of hardware. Unhook the hdd and see if it shuts down.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Ok. Remove the hardware from the case and build it on a piece of cardboard and try booting up. You may have a short somewhere in the system. Also if you have removed the heatsink and replaced it without removing the thermal paste and applying new then it could be overheating.

elobire

Ok. Remove the hardware from the case and build it on a piece of cardboard and try booting up. You may have a short somewhere in the system. Also if you have removed the heatsink and replaced it without removing the thermal paste and applying new then it could be overheating.

Thanks, i just tried that and replaced the thermal paste but it wont boot into safe mode.
Do you think its a problem with the motherboard?

elobire

It doesnt seem to anymore, until actually tries to load Windows. Then it crashes like it did at first. Thinking back though, the computer does crash randomly sometimes and then will shutoff within 5 seconds of starting. But i would then leave it 5 minuits and it would work fine. I wonder if thats what happened there.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If it doesn't shut off now its very possible all the abrupt shutdowns have caused errors on the hard drive. What brand of drive is it? You should download the drive manufacturers disk diagnostic program and scan the drive.

elobire

If it doesn't shut off now its very possible all the abrupt shutdowns have caused errors on the hard drive. What brand of drive is it? You should download the drive manufacturers disk diagnostic program and scan the drive.

Thanks, its western digital. Il try a diagnostic program and see if anything comes up.

cwizardtx

Can you tell me approximately how old this system is? Take a flash light, pull the side panel off the system case and examine the capacitors. If any of them are starting to rise at the top you have a failing motherboard.

Eric

elobire

Can you tell me approximately how old this system is? Take a flash light, pull the side panel off the system case and examine the capacitors. If any of them are starting to rise at the top you have a failing motherboard.

Eric

I bought the computer about 4 years ago, but since then i have upgraded everything apart from the hard drive and DVD drive.

I ran a diagnostic on the drive and it seems to be working fine. i re installed windows onto it and tested it on my other computer and it boots fine. When i put it into the broken computer it still fails to boot and i think must damage the system files as it wont boot when i try it on another computer after that.

cwizardtx

I bought the computer about 4 years ago, but since then i have upgraded everything apart from the hard drive and DVD drive.

I ran a diagnostic on the drive and it seems to be working fine. i re installed windows onto it and tested it on my other computer and it boots fine. When i put it into the broken computer it still fails to boot and i think must damage the system files as it wont boot when i try it on another computer after that.

Was the motherboard one of the components you also upgraded?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member

You can't install windows on one computer and take the hard drive out and put it in a different computer and expect it to boot up. You have to install windows on the drive in the computers its gonna reside in. Is this what you have done?

elobire

Was the motherboard one of the components you also upgraded?

Yes. the computer wouldnt turn on and the repair shop i took it to replaced the motherboard. but its worked fine until now.

Sorry, i meant that i connected the drive up to another computer and installed it from there, then put it back into the broken computer. It was easier to do as it kept crashing.