Crashing Problem!

xFayex

Every time I save something, send something, open something, or change my display picture on MSN, or change a song on Windows Media Player, on my laptop, it crashes. It says that the program is not responding, therefore I have to end the task, and restart my Windows Media Player/ MSN/or Web page I am on or whatever.

It is all very annoying, it has been like this for a week or so. I have no error or warning messages, so I’m wondering if you know what the problem is and how it can be sorted out.

Help would be appreciated immensely!

Thanks a lot,
Faye

dave597

VIP Member
This sounds like something to do with a file access error on your hard disk. Can you run scandisk and disk defragmenter to see it that helps?

xFayex

dave597 said:
This sounds like something to do with a file access error on your hard disk. Can you run scandisk and disk defragmenter to see it that helps?

I've just learned how to do all that, and it looks as if it fixed it...well for now!

Thanks a bunch. :)

xFayex

Well it did work last night for a few hours, now it's just doing the same, crashing! :mad:

Any other ideas?

dave597

VIP Member
Erm, hard drive could be overheating, leave a window open while you use it and see if it helps.

Or Hard drive could be failing. download speedfan - http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php and click on the s.m.a.r.t. tab and select the hard drive and post a screenshot if you can. if you see green okays all is well.

xFayex

This is what I got...

smart.jpg

dave597

VIP Member
the things of concern are the raw read error rate and the seek error rate (which are decreasing), which would explain your problem. i suggest backing up, then running scandisk in startup, eg. check all the options, or in the last case - formatting.

dave597

VIP Member
personally i would just get a new hard drive, don't know how many hdds can fit in a laptop but its probably not 2. Does anybody else have opinions on this?

xFayex

A new hard drive? I just got a new one in December! Thanks for your help with this, anyway.

Anyone else got an idea, please?

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Format And Reinstall

Your last resort (supposing it's not a fault with your HDD) is to format the HDD and reisntall Windows. It seems to me to either be a harware problem or a driver problem (Windows component problem to do with the HDD). A full reinstall could fix this problem.

JAN :D