create a network in home

robina_80

hi guys i want to create a network in my home connecting 5 pcs do you think its best bet to get a HUB or a SWITCH or a ROUTER

Last edited:

silver 95

you can get a router with a built in switch. that would be your best bet. it might be tough to find one with more than 4 port to plug into. are any of the computers going to be wireless?

If there all wired and all you can find is 4 port routers, you can also get a switch to plug into your router.

Also, are you going to be plugging in a broadband connection into the router? If your not planning on getting online, then you don't even need a router, just get a switch then.

aussiepom

Home Network

What os are the machines going to use ?
will you want to make a server so you can use dynamic ip
some routers have dhcp so you could use a router and then use an eight port switch this will work on most home networks.
that is assuming you want all to connect to the www

robina_80

WHAT i need a router and switch, i thought just a switch i want computers to go on the internet aswell as LAN so if i want these two i need a router and a switch?!?

Last edited:

robina_80

so let me get this right to connect your pcs to a LAN you need a switch, but to connect your pcs to the internet aswell you need a router am i right so you need two pieces of hardware a SWITCH and a ROUTER???

Last edited:

SFR

Truth fears no questions
A router is an intelligent switch.

I has the ability to split the incoming signal between computers and also allows for an internal network or intranet to work.

geek_in_love

computerdude2004 said:
You need both a switch and a router, unless your router has a built in switch.

What is the point in getting a router and a switch, when you just buy a router. I haven't seen really any consumer routers that is just one port, unless a Router/modem.

computerdude2004

If he plans to connect many computer, although I wouldn't think he would with a home network, he will need a separate switch, otherwise a router with a built in switch is all he will need. He will also need some network cable and a NIC, in all desktop computers he plans to network and a Network PCMIA card in all laptops he plans to network.

SlothX311

If you are counting on sharing an interweb connection the you need a router. If you have 5 PC's though you may need to uplink one of the outs on the router to a switch (hubs devide bandwidth by the total number of users). This is unless you can find a router with 5 out ports.