Creating A Website

LVhometoday

I am in the process of starting a home inspection business and am looking to design my own website. Does anyone have some suggestions or advice as to what web hosting sites work well and get good traffic? I am currently looking at Webs, Web.com and Go Daddy, but am open to suggestions. Thanks!

Kesava

I am in the process of starting a home inspection business and am looking to design my own website. Does anyone have some suggestions or advice as to what web hosting sites work well and get good traffic? I am currently looking at Webs, Web.com and Go Daddy, but am open to suggestions. Thanks!

I suggest that you steer clear of Go Daddy. They're expensive, their control panel is complicated and unintuitive and many people have issues with them. They have many clients because they are alright for bulk domains and they run a lot of ads to get customers.

For hosting, I'd recommend either HostGator, which has quality services and great, helpful support. Or ForzaHost, if your budget can't afford HostGator.

Then install Wordpress, find yourself a nice free theme and begin adding content.

Traffic is not based on what hosting you use. It comes from all sources such as Google Search, Ads etc.

Troncoso

VIP Member
Kesava is being modest.
I'd suggest starting with Kuzhost. Very low prices and great cpanel features. There are different plans to suit your needs.

One cool thing about them is they do free backups so you don't have to worry about it. Starting a new business, having one less thing to worry about is a big help.

Last edited:

NyxCharon

^
+1

I use kuzhost.com for my hosting. Have several websites with the company and never had any problems. Staff is great and very quick to respond if you have any issues too. Price for one site is nice too - $5 a month. It even comes with cpanel setup to make managing your site super easy. I suggest you check them out.

As far as advertising a great way to get started is to use Google Adwords and when you sign up with them you get a $100 voucher for it and they'll help you setup your campaign and all that as well.

Last edited:

Kesava

happy-oh-stop-it-you.svg

G80FTW

Personally I stopped using hosting sites. Its alot easier and better to just buy a domain (only like $10 a year or something, pretty cheap for your own home on the web) and use a program like cold fusion I think it was to build your website (I havent built a site in about 5 years so Im a little rusty).

But I used to have my own site and I paid for that about $10/year and I built the website myself. Its no longer my domain though.

ayan

Although Kesava knows the gist of it, and it's a very good advice, i'd suggest you don't use Wordpress. It's the easiest and the best to get a site going, but it's also the most popular, which makes it the primary target for hackers. It has serious security flaws because of the plugins you are required to use. Also, if you already have a design, using backwards engineering to adjust wordpress to your needs is very often annoying and painstaking, especially if you don't know programming.

I can't recommend any CMS's either, because i've only used Wordpress, but my boss sais that if you have a website in wordpress, you can almost be certain that in maximum 2 years it will be hacked.

sshaggy

Maybe its a little late to join this conversation, but I'll do that anyway.
To start off, you should buy a domain($10) and get a hosting account. You should not go for cheap and unreliable host, as your website will be for business, and the server being offline at critical time might harm your reputation.
A very good suggestion is go for hostgator($5 per month). They are comparatively cheap and very much reliable. Alternatively, you can create a free account at x10hosting.com. They might be free, but they are much better than quite a lot of other premium host. I have been using them for 2 years, without any problem. The only thing is that you need to login into your account once a month, and they'll keep your account active as long as you do that.

Now, you can start off by installing a CMS, like Joomla or Wordpress. Webhost server provide an automatic installer, called as fantastico, which enables you to do setup within a few mouse clicks. Both the CMS provide a WYSIWYG interface so that you can create/update pages on your own.
You can also go for a professional web developer(I am one), for the setup and customization.

I can't recommend any CMS's either, because i've only used Wordpress, but my boss sais that if you have a website in wordpress, you can almost be certain that in maximum 2 years it will be hacked.
Your boss might be right in his way, because to use a CMS, you have to maintain it by keeping it update to the latest version, which get released now and then. Everytime a security bug is found, or new features are added, an update package is released. Both Joomla and Wordpress will notify you of the update available for you, and you can install it by simple clicks from the backend itself.
To sum it up, setup of any website in Joomla/Wordpress (if done by yourself), is a little hard for beginner, but once everything is running, maintenance will be as easy as working with MS Word.

rvwebdesign

I completely agree with sshaggy - Setting up a CMS is an incredible way to go so that you don't have to mess around with the actual coding aspect of having your own site. I've used both Wordpress and Joomla extensively and haven't had an issue in the past 5 years with either one of them getting hacked as long as I stayed up to date with updates. Currently, both Joomla and wordpress have an automatic update button within their control panels to make it easy to do updates. Wordpress is easier to setup and use, but Joomla is a lot more robust in terms of functionality. If you are just doing a home inspection site, I would say that wordpress is more than fine. I would recommend checking out Themeforest for wordpress templates.

cornelis1999

free website builders

I'm using Jimdo but i know there are other free website builders where you need to pay for a domain