WIndows 10 Crippled OS C disk ?

piazza2

Good morning , in the last few months my Dell windows 10 pc has been warning disc errors ,and unable to self repair , reversing most windows updates ,and recently crippled browsers , crippled ethernet connections and other programs , I was able to clone the disk with Macrium to the same type ssd sata in an external enclosure with usb with the intention to swap it and reinstall windows without losing files and apps.
Is this a correct procedure?
I also tried to reinstall the last version of windows on the faulty drive after I cloned it , no success ,the dialog said that at the second restart there was an error so they reversed the new installation.
I'm planning to swap the old drive with the cloned one and try to install the newest Windows.
Any advice? What am I doing wrong?
Thank you for any answer

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do a fresh install on a new drive and copy your data over to the new one. Any programs would have to be reinstalled. You don't want to clone an old drive to a new one because you will have problems like this.

DavidG

beers

Staff member
Are you sure that isn't an 'infested with malware/viruses' issue instead of a storage one?
I'm planning to swap the old drive with the cloned one and try to install the newest Windows.
I don't understand why you would clone when you planned on manually reinstalling Windows on top of that.

piazza2

Are you sure that isn't an 'infested with malware/viruses' issue instead of a storage one?

I don't understand why you would clone when you planned on manually reinstalling Windows on top of that.
Sorry ,I forgot to mention that I was hoping to avoid reinstalling all the apps ,softwares and settings , some windows reinstallations give you this option , and a new drive without errors will finally correct windows , with reinstall and updates , as for viruses ,I always have Norton 360 so I expect to be notified if it gets infected.
Thank you

piazza2

Is that the product to put absolute faith into?
You were right Beers ,
I did that complex PC fix and it actually worked , with some glitches and hurdles before.
I cloned the old C drive onto the same type SSD just larger ,1TB , I swapped it , reinstalled Windows 10 last version , all my programs and Apps stayed , no reinstalling anything.
That solved half of the problems , then I noticed that I could get internet only with Norton turned off , I totally uninstalled Norton ,which was 32bit??? , I installed the last version of Norton and the PC was back to normal , so lucky
Thank you very much.