Crisis Averted!!!

Laquer Head

So I've had my board for about a month now and all was good up until tonight.

I decided to plug in my Asus PCE-AC68 wifi card to give it a go, been using ethernet since I got it so this was first install.

Installed the software (driver+utility) as I did multiple other times in other systems...turn off plug in card, reboot.. won't show in Device Manager..no indication in BIOS, and when I click software on desktop it tells me to install the device.

Tried reinstalling the software.. no luck.. card lights up, antennas plugged in my the system just won't recognize it.

--

On to second issue..and this is more concerning given the wifi card issue..

Up until as recently as 3 days ago, my secondary M.2 drive (Toshiba XG3 nvme) was installed and working fine... today..after I realized the wifi issue discovered that this SSD itself is also not working...not showing in BIOS or device mgr..

Soooo..

I'm starting to get the feeling that the bottom half of this board has died?? Is this possible that 1 M.2 and a PCI port would both die..but the rest of the board functions fine"?

The PC boots fine, no errors, blue screens, its super fast and responsive..memory works 100% overclocked or not.. same with CPU..overclocks work flawlessly as does the cpu at stock settings.

Any insight is appreciated...I'm new to the advance features of this board...coming from a much less featured board.

Laquer Head

I circled in yellow the location of both the M.2_2 slot and the PCI slot the Asus wifi card is plugged into..

Attachments

• Asus-MAXIMUS-IX-HERO.jpg
    Asus-MAXIMUS-IX-HERO.jpg
    571.1 KB · Views: 5

Laquer Head

I know I'm jumping right to extremes..but since I really have nothing on the rig as far as data goes..I'm thinking of just wiping it and starting as if it were fresh again.. if the issues remain I'm guessing an RMA is in order right?

Laquer Head

Is your WIFI adapter recognized in your other computer?

It was on my old board.. haven't used it in a bit...and this was first time connecting on this new board..hence why a month has gone by and didn't notice if there was issue right away

Laquer Head

It was on my old board.. haven't used it in a bit...and this was first time connecting on this new board..hence why a month has gone by and didn't notice if there was issue right away

The led light comes on.. so it's getting power. ..

Also as far as the xg3 drive goes..if you recall I had quirks with it on old machine so it could be a compatibility issue as it is an oem chip and I had to hunt for a proper ocz/Toshiba driver for it

Just feels odd that 2 things have issues right beside each other on the board

Laquer Head

Well, this morning first thing I plugged in the wifi card to the PCI slot right beloiw the GPU and it worked right away.. so I guess that means the bottom half of the board is screwed??

Perhaps I was too hasty.. I removed all devices...including my gpu..I've plugged the DP cable into the mobo directly..(yes, integrated graphics..shut up @Intel_man)// removed my 960evo from M.2_1 and inserted into M.2_2 and it fired up into windows immediately.

so.. I can deal with the XG3 ssd not working or having issues...and its excellent to see the 960 Evo working in the slot I assumed was toast.

The wifi card still doesnt play nice in the PCI slot I mentioned above but I feel like progress is happening.

Last edited:

Laquer Head

I downgraded the BIOS and everything is now functioning.. what a bunch of crap that was... feel like a dummy for it being so simple..but I guess this stuff takes time and not jumping to drastic measures...lesson learned.,..

Intel_man

VIP Member
I think what is happening is when the m.2 slot is being used, that pcie slot adjacent to it is disabled.

Try plugging in your wifi card in the x16 slot at the bottom.

Laquer Head

Yeah, I know that you are right on that..the pci x1 3rd slot is disabled when either 2 M.2 are installed or when you switch to x4 mode on that second M.2.

But even after that I had issues..I dropped down to the 2nd of 3 BIOS and the issues all ended...

I also decided to stop using the Toshiba XG3.. been nothing but compatibility issues as its an oem drive and drivers for it are sketchy at best.. just not worth the hassle.