critical process died bsod

novicegeek

Well, I've really done it this time. I was getting in the BIOS, trying to see if I could boot from the CD drive. I was just looking around (and didn't find what I would consider a boot priority menu that would allow that option - but that's kind of besides the point now), but when I went to exit, I clicked reset without saving (thinking it was more like "exit without saving," because that's what I was expecting. Now it's continually telling me (after long waits) that it has run into some problems and has to restart, only to restart, and give me the same message again, after it has restarted. (i.e., it's continual). I've also tried to reset to default in BIOS, but that's not helped either.

The computer I'm working on is a Dell Inspiron 3650, and honestly, I can't tell you much more about it because the initial problem was the inability to login to Windows 10 because it wouldn't take a password after rebooting after an Windows update. So accessing any troubleshooting tools is not an option.

It appears we've gone from the frying pan right into the fire as this "fix" has gone from bad to worse. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'd appreciate any thoughts you have on this.

Thank you.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Go back into the bios and check sata controller setting. If its set for AHCI, change it to IDE or SATA. If its not set to AHCI, then set it to AHCI. This is most likely what changed.

novicegeek

One more thing. Is it even possible to set the computer, through BIOS, to boot from a removable media? I've looked in the BIOS (the only thing I can get into at this point), and I don't see a thing in this computer that would provide me with an option to boot that way. The only boot options it has are "Windows Boot Manager," Onboard NIC (IPV4), and Onboard NIC (IPV6). None of that seems to be what I'm looking for.

Thanks again.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
One more thing. Is it even possible to set the computer, through BIOS, to boot from a removable media? I've looked in the BIOS (the only thing I can get into at this point), and I don't see a thing in this computer that would provide me with an option to boot that way. The only boot options it has are "Windows Boot Manager," Onboard NIC (IPV4), and Onboard NIC (IPV6). None of that seems to be what I'm looking for.

Thanks again.
Go to the boot menu and disable secure boot. Secure boot doesn't allow booting to removable devices for security reasons. After disabling, you should see other options like cdrom or usb.

dell.JPG

novicegeek

Okay. Great! Thanks! I was kind of afraid to mess with the secure boot, since I felt like I messed something else up.

Do you think if I reinstall Windows it might fix the issue? I realize that a critical boot process can be cause by a myriad of things, to include drivers, bad sectors, etc., but this whole issue started from an update. I'm probably grasping at straws here.

By the way, it is set for AHCI, and no other options are present to change it.

Thank you for the info. I wish I were half as knowledgeable.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
There should be another option for the sata controller. Is there a setting in there that says something similar to "set default settings" Also Dells have the option to disable individual sata ports, make sure they are enabled.

Darren

Staff member
Disable all boot options except your drive with the OS. You'll most likely want to be in UEFI mode (assuming the machine came with 8 or 10 on it). Secure boot can be toggled either way. Usually on by default but I always disable it since it's just a PITA.

This should at least tell you if your current drive is still bootable. Good chance you just bumped something, easy to do in those particular BIOS's.

If you're not opposed I fully endorse a complete Windows reinstall. If you don't have data to lose never a bad idea.

novicegeek

johnb35, Darren, I have to say, you got me through it. Just about the time I thought I should do nothing more with my computer than play FreeCell, you came through for me. And that pic of the Dell BIOS was exactly what I was looking at.

Now, if you'll indulge me, just one more BIOS question and I'm done. I'm assuming that before I get this computer back to my co-worker, I need to get into the BIOS and change back from the Legacy to UEFI settings (on the Boot List Options), change the Secure Boot from disabled to enable, and change the Load Legacy Option Rom from enabled to disabled (I think I changed that last one). Is there a particular order that I need to change them in, and can I make the changes all at once, or do I need to change one, come back into BIOS, change another, etc.?

Okay, that was actually kind of two questions, but I'm still kinda stupid at this. As always, I appreciate your (or anyone else's) input.

Thanks.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't even worry about changing them back. The secure boot thing is more of a pain in the ass then anything. Besides now the owner will be able to boot to usb or dvd without any hassle.

Darren

Staff member
In regards to UEFI vs Legacy/CSM. Basically if you're on Windows 8 or newer you want to be in UEFI. The mode has to be set before you install the OS, and if you change it after you install then the OS won't be bootable anymore. So in fact you actually can't change it. I just always have secure boot off.