Critique this Gaming Rig

Stildawn

Hi All, Im looking at getting this when my built for sale machine sells.

CPU: AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+ (3.2GHz) 2x1MB Cache *Dual Core* 2000Mhz Socket AM2 CPU + Fan Retail Boxed

Socket AM2 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 Socket AM2 Motherboard

DDR2 RAM Memory Chip: OCZ Reaper HPC Edition Dual Channel Kit 2x 2GB PC8500 DDR2 (1066Mhz) Memory CL5-5-5-15 (OCZ2RPR10664GK)
DDR2 RAM Memory Chip: OCZ Reaper HPC Edition Dual Channel Kit 2x 2GB PC8500 DDR2 (1066Mhz) Memory CL5-5-5-15 (OCZ2RPR10664GK)

PCI-Express16x Video Card: XFX nVidia GeForce 8800GT PV-T88P-YHE4 Extreme Edition Black PCB 512MB PCI-Express Video Card *Dual DVI *HDTV-Out
PCI-Express16x Video Card: XFX nVidia GeForce 8800GT PV-T88P-YHE4 Extreme Edition Black PCB 512MB PCI-Express Video Card *Dual DVI *HDTV-Out

IDE Device: LG GSA-H55N 20x Dual Layer Multi-Format (Black) Internal IDE DVD-Writer (OEM)

Serial ATA Device: Seagate Barracuda ES.2 (ST3500320NS) - Hard drive - 500GB - internal - 3.5" - SATA-300 - 7200 rpm - buffer: 32 MB

Case: Irock IR11A (Silver/Black) Mid-Tower Case with 12cm Front Fan 400W PSU

Just after some thoughts improvements that wont blow the budget.. Also things that wont work well that Ive missed.

Cheers

Stildawn

Dont like intel. Sorry : ) Just always had problem and found them more talk than walk lol.

Yeah I was thinking about the PSU, I just want a cheap case cause I dont care what it looks like, Ill put a bigger PSU on that.

Anything about the graphics? Or cooling?

just a noob

8800gt is probably the best card for price to performance ratio in that generation, right now the 4870 is opening a can of whoopass on nvidia

cohen

the 9 series is good as well, but a lot of builds recently i have put 4870s in for the video cards.

Ramodkk

VIP Member
I would suggest going the Intel way as most people have said. Get something like the E7200, that would PWN the 6400+. For motherboard, I'd recommend the EP35-DS3L from Gigabyte. DFI and ASUS are also great brands. And finally, I'd say it's better to get just one video card such as the HD4850 which is on par with 2 x 8800GT.

1. - Why AMD, not good for gaming really.....
2. - Get a 500 W + PSU.

AMD is good for gaming, is just not the best for the price.

And I agree with getting at least a 500W PSU

Stildawn

With Intel, to get above 3ghz I have to basically double the price.

What two card should I get to get the most performance to price? I will get two 4870's if I can dependin on how much my built for sale machine goes for, if it sells for 2k then Ill get two of them.

But I dont see the point of intel, ive done my own tests on both AMD and Intel and unless (in New Zealand) your willing to spend like near $2000 just for the chip, the rest are much more expensive than AMD's with little performance increase.

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Oh, don't worry about the core clock speed on the processors. The E8400 is only 3.0GHz but would blow the 6400+ out of the water.

Stildawn

Lol, last time I tested out Intel was maybe a year ago and Ive always been disappointed with all their products lol but ok Im willing to try.

What build would you guys reckonmend for the best gaming rig with US$1667.61 (or $2200NZ which is what Ill be willing to spend)

cohen

Lol, last time I tested out Intel was maybe a year ago and Ive always been disappointed with all their products lol but ok Im willing to try.

What build would you guys reckonmend for the best gaming rig with US$1667.61 (or $2200NZ which is what Ill be willing to spend)

OK, so i take it your in NZ, best if i do a build from a website over there, can you give me one??? Otherwise i'll do a build off newegg.