Currupt WORD doc recovery

Da Mail Man

Greetings all,

Was typing on a Word doc when something caused the BSOD and computer restarted. Almost positive it is an incorrect video driver. NOT the issue here today.

I accessed the Word doc via shortcut on my desktop. I had all of the info on that WORD doc (Microsoft Word 2000) saved until this morning (Sunday 09-19-2k21).

When I went to open the doc I was working on, I got the following message (see attached thumbnail pict).

error opening currupt word doc.jpg

The Word doc I was working with is still there but, un-openable.

I have the original doc saved in another place having info saved on it up till about 08/26/2k21, after that to today's date, "crapola".

A recent side note: *What I have works well. I do not have any desire to upgrade my software. This is about methods to recover a corrupted Document.

HOW can I either restore or recover this word doc? It was NOT deleted but, damaged/corrupted. Any known downloadable freeware or other ideas?
THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
WPS is a Works file, not a Word file. Are you sure you're opening it with the correct application?

Da Mail Man

WPS is a Works file, not a Word file. Are you sure you're opening it with the correct application?

THANKS FOR THE REPLY

I have a file that was/is made with Kingsoft Office Program....(my error)...That word program will open a word doc as well as Microsoft Office being able to open same (vise-versa).....I accessed the files with a shortcut on my desktop...While typing data into that doc, I got the "glitch" and that is all she wrote so-to-speak.

I have used BOTH programs to "pull it back" but, no good....I have looked around in the Kingsoft program to see if there was a recovery "mode" to restore but, did not see anything...Will have to look again tomorrow....Microsoft had some info that I will try again tomorrow.

beers

Staff member
Modern versions of office do have versioning recovering with various time snapshots.

Have you considered using something more recent?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Try using word to repair the document. Make additional copies of the damaged file first so you aren't working with the original.

1. Open Word.
  2. Click File, go to Open.
  3. Select Computer, Browse.
  4. Click the drop down arrow on the Open button and choose Open and Repair.
  5. Browse and open the document.

Da Mail Man

Try using word to repair the document. Make additional copies of the damaged file first so you aren't working with the original.

1. Open Word.
  2. Click File, go to Open.
  3. Select Computer, Browse.
  4. Click the drop down arrow on the Open button and choose Open and Repair.
  5. Browse and open the document.
Thanks for the reply.

I think I may have tried that.
My question is, do I open a NEW word doc and then, locate the corrupted file and go from there?....I think I have tried that but, will try again.

Da Mail Man

I attempted this by;
opening a NEW Word doc,
clicking "open",
located bad file in the directory it is in,

and what I got was some legible text intermixed with much "machine language".

after attempted recovery.jpg

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So do a system restore back to before the bluescreen and then add whatever data you were adding to it. Thats the only option you have. Might want to back up files to usb flash drives so you have an extra copy.

Da Mail Man

Thanks for the reply....

I may attempt to do that....I have some "recovery" software laying around that I will have to dig up and will try that first to see what results I come up with.

Da Mail Man

The periodic auto save feature would have retained your data.

Good luck with recovery.
I attempted to initialize a restore point but, I MESSED UP!
Apparently, I had an external hard drive connected at the time I made a restore point and was not aware of it and, when I attempted a restore, I got a message that, once I do the restore to earlier time, it could NOT be undone...

Not wanting to take the risk, I opted out of that....I also did not have the "auto-save" feature "on" as I thought it did that automatically......Still looking around the net for some freeware "recovery" software that will "fix-restore" the corrupted text doc...Most of what I have seen deal with deleted files.

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
I hope you'll eventually realize the amount of issues and struggles you run into by running all this super old hardware and software would be fixed if you just... used something modern. Computers aren't appliances, they don't just keep working the same way forever. Stuff changes, and the sooner you figure that out the happier you'll be with everything you use with them. You clearly have lots of stuff you want to do with computers, so why do it on things 15 years obsolete? Just makes no sense by any stretch.

Not saying these things to be a prick, but it's a common issue with older folks and it's horrible to see so much wasted time and energy. Energy that could be better spent learning the new stuff and enjoying the features and conveniences that come with them. I did repair shop business for a few years and the amount of effort people go to NOT change the way they do things is staggering compared to the effort it requires to just learn and adapt.

Da Mail Man

While I run an older OS, it is what I run and prefer to. I had hoped that the thread could stick to the point and the question put to it, not to criticize the hardware, the poster, or OS.....Isn't that the point of this forum - to answer questions -- providing assistance to those less knowledgeable about a certain item or procedure?...I ran into this in the past being told to upgrade and such but, has NOTHING to do with the question put to it....

While I do run and older OS, it worked well and worked for me....I do realize that some websites do not "play well" with an older OS, should that be the case, I move on to some other net place. IF this were 15 years ago, my question(s) would be accepted and not criticized and have a little more authority. My question(s) lead to the usability of the OS, tweaks and such that would apply to this OS.

If I had a corvette, say 1975, and it ran very well at that time, but, had an issue with it today - say bad wires, I would address the situation, find the cause or ask for help in doing so. I would replace the wires and the vette would run as well as it did in 1975 when, at that time, people were saying 'oooo-ahhhh, what a great car, great machine"!. ...Replacing the wires brought it back to what it was designed to do when people marveled at it...Granted, newer vettes have come out that would leave the '75 at the line but, that should not take away what that '75 was designed to do, working well when manufactured...If I don't know what type of wires to put on or, put the wrong type wires on or, screw up the firing order, that is what I would seek help with.

I appreciate help but, not the criticism as to what I use. It is about using or restoring what I have........Respectfully submitted.

Darren

Staff member
Your comparison to cars highlights you're still somewhat missing my point. I love cars, but that's not really the same. A 1975 C3 Corvette is a beautiful classic car that serves a function of being fun and attracting attention, and maybe draining the fuel tank while it takes you somewhere. Same as it ever was. A computer is a tool and when it doesn't do the job anymore to the degree it causes problems, you need to adapt. I sure as hell wouldn't want to commute or even race in a C3 for any kind of regular usage, but I can appreciate it for what it is and what it was when it came out.

But agree to disagree. I've bitten my tongue so many times when reading your threads and just wanted to get it out there that using modern stuff would alleviate so much headache for you in the medium to long term, even if it requires some up front changes to your operational style.

Best of luck with your future Windows XP adventures.

Da Mail Man

No, I didn't miss your point. The '75 (my older OS) can be restored to work as it did when manufactured...It doesn't mean that it can't work and work well as it did when it was "manufactured. My OS can do the job it was designed to and do it well. Thanks for the replies.

beers

Staff member
but, has NOTHING to do with the question put to it....
But alas, it has the most blatant and obvious correlation for preventing the entire issue, which was exactly his point.

Computers aren’t cars, but TCO exists for both. You are effectively driving an abused beater that needed an oil change 30k miles ago. If you really want to car analogy then consider that it's surprising for an old car to be issue free, and equally surprising for a new car to have issues.

I would expect 0% success restoring that document and would tell you to rely on your backup. Usually for missing items out of a file table you can restore data relatively easily since it's largely just a reference, but it sounds like the data itself was corrupted whether from hardware or software from writing the file. You can take a look in the hard drive SMART data to see if there's an event that impacted the drive, keeping in mind that hard drives have a finite lifespan. Other items like failing RAM (or a dependency thereof) can introduce other instability and data corruption issues and may be factors in your continuing BSOD behavior.

Personally I would do some file system hash tests to see if you're continuing to observe corruption.