Custom Built Or Alienware Or Genesis Desktop?

Zangetsu

If know something about computers, custom built is much better. It's cheaper while it usually has better performance.

aznchris

To be honest, I never heard of Genesis (doesn't mean it's bad) and Alienware is overrated. I agree with the guy on top. Custom built is cheaper and better.

Who are genesis computers? Alienware is ridiculously over priced, so what's your budget? Perhaps we could reccomend a better manufacturer. Building a PC is so much better. Better preformance for a cheaper price, and it's easy. First time builder, took 2 hours for me, and I built an okay gamer for $300, including monitor!

MyCattMaxx

Who are genesis computers? Alienware is ridiculously over priced, so what's your budget? Perhaps we could reccomend a better manufacturer. Building a PC is so much better. Better preformance for a cheaper price, and it's easy. First time builder, took 2 hours for me, and I built an okay gamer for $300, including monitor!
Is Google broken?

wolfeking

banned
custom built or nothing is what I would say. Alienware is the mac of PCs (meaning overpriced for not that great hardware).
Building will take only like 3 hours at most assuming that you don't have to dig too far to find the wiring diagrams.

M1kkelZR

Is Google broken?

Did you Google genesis computers? You cheese head , I did Google them, and nothing good came up. I found 2 sites named genisis computers, and neither of them had anything good.

Don't have to respond in a negative way man. But by asking it in your post "Who are genesis computers" makes it sound like you did not google them. Next time just say something like "Never heard of genesis computers.... etc"

But To agree with everyone else: Custom is better and more fun

spirit

Staff member
which is the best option, which would you choose?
Building your own, definitely. You have absolute control of what goes into your machine and you can choose the hardware you want and set everything up how you like it.

These custom-builders will let you choose what you can have to some extent, but you will be limited most likely. They may not tell you exactly what is going to go into your machine, for example, they may list "700W PSU" or "Z77 based motherboard" or "AMD Quad Core CPU" under the specifications. That's all very well, but you don't know which PSU you will get in this case, or which Z77 board, or which AMD quad-core, and as you especially don't want to skimp out on a PSU and a board, that's a real drawback. By building the PC yourself you don't have this problem.

LooN3y

custom build definitely, way cheaper with often better performance. Price vs performance with a custom build is unbeatable.

Would this be the one http://originpc.com/genesis-gaming-desktop-features.asp

yes it is, it's one of best "pre-built (alienware type)" of computers.

i don't know, my old desktop from high school is dying, and since i work now and I'm older, i finally want a computer that i can RUN ON HIGH SETTINGS.

i got my old acer desktop from Fry's which was supposed to be a "gaming desktop computer" in 06 or 07 and couldn't even run Rome: Total War on high settings!

i heard cons of building your own, like bugs, hardware compatibility, but i heard most of this when i was 13-14 back in 03-04. is it less crash and faulty prone now?

i really, really want a dope gaming computer once in my life, at least before i get too old and i might grow out of computer gaming.

WoW high settings, L4D2 high settings, SC II high settings , Diablo III high settings, knights of the old republic mmo high settings, shogun total war high settings. etc etc, with multi tasking, and running maybe one or two virtual machines. i want it to run smooth, and for the computer to last a while or at least stay relevant with the new and upcoming games.

i like my ps3, but i love computer games. N64 was my thing, but computers with all the mods u can DL for each game, skins. its just no doubt which is better.

and plus with the next generation consoles trying to make "used games" extinct, I'm planning to go more on the computer gaming side.

i want an epic gaming computer for once in my life, and i want it the cheapest way possible.

are there any example specs, a hardware specs range i should be looking at?

I'm really bad at that, i just wanna end up getting the best of the best (even though its not necessary) and the price tag becomes ridiculous.

what are reasonable specs for an epic gaming computer without going overboard?

Hyper-Threaded

It is really easy to build one, just screw in the motherboard then attach everything to it basically, very easy and self explanatory. Go custom built

LooN3y

It is really easy to build one, just screw in the motherboard then attach everything to it basically, very easy and self explanatory. Go custom built

whats a good site that kinda guides you?

and how do u know if the Ram, processor and mother board are all compatible?

Hyper-Threaded

whats a good site that kinda guides you?

and how do u know if the Ram, processor and mother board are all compatible?

Im a big new egg fan. First pick AMD or Intel, AMD is cheaper, Intel has better performance. Pick your motherboard and it will tell you what is compatible with it. Like for example,

1333- 1666mhz ram ddr3- 240pin

Socket AM3

Just buy parts that fit the bill. And post it up before you order to have us check it.

LooN3y

is this what u guys are talking about on newegg.com?

and if it is, which is the best?

im assuming the most expensive, but sometimes the most expensive isn't the best. and I'm not sure if thats the case

Last edited: