Custom Computer Business?

tlarkin

VIP Member
I can tell you right now, consumers do not drive the computer business. They may drive the ipod, cell phone and the like business. When it comes to just plain out computer desktop sales though, enterprise runs drives businesses. An individual will order 1 or 2 computers tops. A company will order hundreds or thousands at a time.

Also, from a support stand point, working on custom built systems from an Enterprise perspective is ridiculous. It would be a huge pain to have an image for every custom built system with its own drivers and what not, and then on top of all that, I would have to warranty out each part individually.

Custom built PCs is a niche market, just like custom building anything - cars, motorcycles, wood working, sculpture, metal working, glass blowing, etc etc

If it weren't a niche market everyone would do it. You have to be innovative in one way or another to make it, or be able to offer something someone else can't. otherwise, why would I buy a custom built machine by you, when I can buy a custom built machine by dell, get a three year warranty, onsite support, tech support, and probably cost me less money.

You need a more broad plan than just custom building computers. When I contracted on the side I advertised that I did everything. I got calls for everything from repair, set up, networking data recovery, etc. I just did what I could and turned down jobs I know that I couldn't do, due to time or other issues that I knew I would encounter. However, I always recommended someone else I knew.

Last edited:

cole4eng

I wanted to weigh in and give you my personal opinion about starting your own computer business: do it only if you absolutely love computers and like the IT industry as a whole. If you're going into this for the money, you might be looking in the wrong place. It is a very competitive market, and I'm sorry to say this, but I see allot of people on eBay that are firmly convinced that just because of the simple fact that they can connect a couple of cables and twist a few wires here and there, they have "custom gaming computer business". I have been building computer systems since before I went to high school, and worked in a couple of local computer shops. I've also studied Industrial Design, and have a degree in computer programming. ....

Marc from Toratek Custom Computers
This is a great post, thanks. I'm curious though, do you utilise your studies in Industrial design or more importantly your degree in computer programming?. I've programmed in C recently and I don't know where this type of prgramming would be useful in relevance to this topic. I'm in the final stage of my Electronics course.

I think anybody who has opened up a computer and played around with the parts inside thinks that they can make a killing by selling computers, highly unlikely, you NEED EXPERIENCE. What if a computer you sell has a faulty hard drive, which has corrupted Windows files to the point where it won't boot. The question you get asked is "My computer won't work".. I know highly detailed question, but in the majority of cases that's what you're dealing with, how on earth are you going to answer that ?... equally importantly do you have time to answer that ?. Also how is a consumer to know if you take the proper anti-static precautions, that said..do you?.

The only way I could see this business working is if:-
Initially...
- You have NO or extremely little overheads.
- You make a promise to honour the warranty and deliver service when necessary.
- You build a quality product and make an effort not to build systems that are foreign to you, e.g. if you can build a quality Intel product, stick with Intel don't suddenly change to AMD because at the time it was more cost effective.

Then..
- Through word of mouth you will hopefully have a number of established clients and a solid flow of incoming work.
- You'll get known for producing a quality product.
- There'll be less of a demand for call outs because through your previous call outs you would've establish what the common concerns with the system are and adjusted your product and accompanying manuals accordingly.
- You'll start to make a profit and from here you can decide what your future aspirations are.

All that said I'm sure I'm overlooking a lot.

Taxes have been mentioned, to the best of my knowledge if you do callouts as part of your customer support then your fuel consumption is tax deductible, this is an example of where a solid understanding of small business management is required.

I absolutely believe $1000 per week is a far way off, more like half, if your lucky, but who knows what the future holds.

Kill Bill

I don't think I know anyone under 18 that can afford high quality hardware in bulk amounts ;). Well not anyone "Normal" :p

Tlarkin I really appreciate your comments :) Another thing is that I'm not planning on going full out custom PC building like Alienware or something. I just want to do local/maybe some ebay selling and maybe make a decent profit. :p Would there significantly cheaper hardware from anywhere else besides common places like Newegg? Ive heard that sometimes during liquidations you can catch some cheap stuff.

-Thanks again guys.

For advertising I suggest ring up custom pc magizine. Every month they have an issue. Heres the site

http://www.custompc.co.uk/

My advice. Start building pcs for your town or state then tell them your going to do it online on ebay. And then they can purchase stuff from there and give you lots of +Comments. As for warrenty give them 1 year free and if it damages they can post it back to ya and send them back like 150 for the shipping of the item with a note saying all is repaired now:p

Cleric7x9

I work for a customer computer company, we are called Computer Builder's Warehouse out of Boca Raton, Florida. I can tell you right now that 85% of our profit comes from service/repair, not selling custom computers. We build on average of about 100 computers every month.

toratek

banned
But, then what about....

I work for a customer computer company, we are called Computer Builder's Warehouse out of Boca Raton, Florida. I can tell you right now that 85% of our profit comes from service/repair, not selling custom computers. We build on average of about 100 computers every month.

But then, how do other companies like Alienware, VooDoo PC, Falcon NW make money ? Or forget those, how about Pugets Systems (or Puget Custom Computers), www.pugetsystems.com ? They are selling pretty well.

It is hardly possible to find out how much money a company makes in profit every year, but for instance Falcon NW had sales of $5.000.000 (five million) dollars in 2006. Lets just say that they've made around $2 million in profit (judging from their markup), that is still pretty damn good. You guys can further research this companies by looking at Forbes and other online publications, most of it is public information.

All this companies are Boutique Builders. They specialize in custom computer systems. Take a look at http://www.resellerratings.com/ and you'll see that plenty of people are buying from them.

The original poster was talking about building custom PCs, and not going head to head with the low end or budget market, where the big companies own the market. As a small Boutique Builder, you don't go after Gateway (which is owned by Acer now) and try to compete with them on the $299-$1000 computer systems. Even Gateway, maybe makes $50 in profit / system, or a little more. Or maybe I miss understood him? Well, anyway, the bottom line was (at least from what I got) that he was hoping to easily make $1000/week. Is it doable? Absolutely, but it will take all your time and energy.

Every company that tried to make a profit from "selling cheap" has had financial trouble. Gateway had to close all their stores because they couldn't sustain them anymore, and then they had to sell out to Acer. Gateways are cheap on everage, but you'll get what you pay for.

HP is the No. 1 (numero uno!) computer manufacturer in the world. Most of their profit comes from their business / enterprise sales, and the server / workstation market, oh, and printers / office products. The least of their profits comes from the low end and sub $1000 PCs. Yet, they keep a presence in that market because they and, and because they don't want anyone else to take their place in that market.

But even HP realized that there is money to be made in the Boutique PC market, and that is why they've bought VooDoo PC (and because they needed a new image for that market). They are also trying to sell custom PCs under their own name, and that is why they've created HP Blackbird 002, with "VooDoo DNA", which is just a marketing thing that tells the customer that their Blackbird 002 has been designed by the good folks at VooDoo PC, and to create a bridge between their own brand, as HP and the Boutique Market.

The bottom line is that selling computers of any kind is not the same as selling Boutique PCs. Many companies, like for instance UberclockPC are trying to promote an image of Quality Gaming PC at a low price. Again, you get what you pay for. To have a successful business you have to sell first of Quality, Service and Performance in equal amounts. Most top (the very expensive ones) Boutique builders have free overnight shipping service that is for the duration of the warranty, and their systems are built by skilled technicians. Look at a VooDoo PC "Omen" and you will see how clean and efficient it's built. I build all the PCs I'm selling, and I can tell that there allot of work involved. But in contrast to many builders, I do every and any customization that the customer asks for (of course, if it's humanly possible).

There is a gap in the market between those high end and the rest. Most people (including me) are trying to fill that gap, but if you can't match the quality of the high for less money, then don't worry about the rest of the market, because you'll never be able to compete with the bigger players.

I've wrote all this because I'm trying to explain to the original poster that he either does it as good as he can, and gives %100 and builds quality high end PCs that are nicely customized with unique customizations, or he doesn't do it at all. Doing it part time and trying to make $1000/week won't fly. Not on eBay, and definitively not in his local area.

As far as making money from repairs, that market is slowly going away to. Services like "Geek Squad" from Best Buy are making sure of that. Most folks that need PC repairs or software repair (including virus removal, OS reinstall and what not) are those that just need a "working computer" to do their stuff. They don't have high end computers, and most important, they are very frugal when it comes to spending money on PC related stuff.

This could go on and on, and everyone, including me, could weigh in with our opinions (because everyone has one and most of them if not all don't really matter), but if you're not going to at least try your best to be the best at what you are doing, then you will not succeed.

Also, this days most people can build their own PCs from parts, and it is for the same reason that there are so many builders out there. If you are going after the market of those who try to compromise (they aren't that good at building their own stuff, but they still want a custom system) then you will not make money.

And if I wouldn't be doing this, but something else for a living, then I would buy a custom Gaming Computer (because I like to play games) from one of the top builders. It is worth spending the extra coin to get a quality computer system. But if I would want to save money, I would build my own. And this is how most people think.

Thank you for reading this, and I apologize for any grammatical errors in my posting, but I type this up pretty fast.

Marc from Toratek Custom Computers

tlarkin

VIP Member
Alienware was going out of business and Dell bought them up nice and cheap. That is how they survived.

toratek

banned
Alienware was going out of business and Dell bought them up nice and cheap. That is how they survived.

It's kind of hard to know what their finances where in 2006 when the acquisition happened, but they are overcharging customers for the type of service they are offering, poor quality craftsmanship, and components of average quality, like low quality power supplies, motherboards and so on. That being said, here are some facts from wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alienware):

"Alienware was originally established to tap a niche in the high performance game market, which back then was not on the radar of the major PC manufacturers such as Dell. Since high-end game hardware was not widely distributed, the company's founders formed an OEM which sold personal computers with the highest performing hardware and settings according to benchmarks.The company products are not only famous for their outstanding hardware configurations but also for their spectacular designs."

- A bit of marketing here, but the truth is that they have poor ratings on ressellerratings.com (http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Alienware):6.35/10. Compare that to a a small company like Puget Custom Computers (http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Puget_Custom_Computers) that has a rating of 9.91/10, even do they should have a 10/10 for the excellent way that they are handling every complaint. This is proof that good service goes a long way.

- Alienware design isn't anything spectacular, and their enclosures are fairly cheap, not to mention that the cooling systems they employ are pretty poor quality.

"Alienware established its EMEA (Europe, the Middle East, and Africa) headquarters in Athlone, Ireland in October 2002. As of FY 2005, Alienware brought in upwards of $170 million USD in annual sales, while undertaking an international expansion initiative launched in 2003 to maintain a presence in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, United Kingdom, and Costa Rica. Alienware has had a call center in Costa Rica to handle all sales and support calls for a number of years. Additionally, Alienware allows you to send in old computer hardware in exchange for credit towards new hardware."

- They have 700 employees World Wide, and make $170 million in sales/year! :eek: Folks, this ain't a small shop at all!. Yet they outsource everything, and because greed is a factor in their business, they might go bely up. You can't manufacture high end custom systems (what exactly is custom about Alienware anyway?) the same way you do low end. All their laptops and bare bone systems are built in South America. Alienware, if you're reading this, Custom Boutique PC means Assembled in the good ol' U.S. of A.! For the money that they are asking for their systems, they owe their customers at least that much. This is the ONLY reason why folks spend so much money on a computer, because they want excelent customer service, and high quality parts/assembly.

- But you're right, the way they handle business, they might go out of business. Or, in the future you'll see an Alienware system next to your Dell, HP and Gateway for slightly more at your local Best Buy. I'm sure people would buy them even if they're going to be dog slow, because at say $1500, why not own one? That will last until they saturate that market to. But I'm just speculating here, hehe.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Alienware is an exception to the rule. Yes, they are a niche market, but the prices they charge are obscene. If someone is going to spend $3000 on parts that cost $1200, 'next-generation' parts that are barely better that mainstream ones today just to play a game at 3 FPS better, and a piss-poor (and hella-ugly!) example of a case they're either fools, or have completely different priorities than most folks. The price vs. what you actually get is like spending money that would buy you a Mercedes and getting a Honda in return.

toratek

banned
Alienware is an exception to the rule. Yes, they are a niche market, but the prices they charge are obscene. If someone is going to spend $3000 on parts that cost $1200, 'next-generation' parts that are barely better that mainstream ones today just to play a game at 3 FPS better, and a piss-poor (and hella-ugly!) example of a case they're either fools, or have completely different priorities than most folks. The price vs. what you actually get is like spending money that would buy you a Mercedes and getting a Honda in return.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you :cool:

tlarkin

VIP Member
170 million dollars of sales means absolutely dick unless we know the profit margin, and since their systems cost an arm and a leg, plus the cost of support and to employ their staff we have no idea actually how much profit they were making.

When I was contracting my rates were $75 to $200 per an hour, that is pure profit per an hour. Which is more money than you will make doing one job than off several hardware sales.

toratek

banned
170 million dollars of sales means absolutely dick unless we know the profit margin, and since their systems cost an arm and a leg, plus the cost of support and to employ their staff we have no idea actually how much profit they were making.

When I was contracting my rates were $75 to $200 per an hour, that is pure profit per an hour. Which is more money than you will make doing one job than off several hardware sales.

Since their systems are so expensive (actually there is not value in buying an Alienware System), and they have 170 million dollars per year in sales, you can imagine that their profits are huge. Add to that the fact that they've outsourced everything to South America and China, so they don't have to pay huge wages. But who really cares? No one in the enthusiast community considers them true custom builders anymore. The market will have its say, and one day they will fail and go out of business. Then Dell will discard them to Acer or Lenovo or who knows what company from Asia. Or maybe not? Who cares... they don't bother me a bit.

Alien Ware

banned
Another question toratek... you build all of your custom computer correct? On average how much money do you make per week?

toratek

banned
Another question toratek... you build all of your custom computer correct? On average how much money do you make per week?

I largely depends on the number of systems that you're selling. This will be largely up to you, how desirable your product is, and how good the craftsmanship is. :cool: Take a look at www.uberclok.com for instance. They make $400/system, but I wouldn't buy one. There is nothing that appeals to them.

Later, Marc.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Since their systems are so expensive (actually there is not value in buying an Alienware System), and they have 170 million dollars per year in sales, you can imagine that their profits are huge. Add to that the fact that they've outsourced everything to South America and China, so they don't have to pay huge wages. But who really cares? No one in the enthusiast community considers them true custom builders anymore. The market will have its say, and one day they will fail and go out of business. Then Dell will discard them to Acer or Lenovo or who knows what company from Asia. Or maybe not? Who cares... they don't bother me a bit.

How much do they spend on advertising every year? I mean they have to spend 10s of millions to put their ads all over the web and in every freaking computer publication out there. Not to mention pay their staff, and manufacture their product. Sure they may make 170 million but in retrospect after you pay for everything how much profit is that?

The system builder I was working for had a bonus pay system where it kept track of every technician by the money they made. I once made the company 28,000 dollars in one week. Of course that was before we took out costs, and my salary, and every other thing that nickels and dimes you. I mean our utility bill for our shop each month was like 45k or something ridiculous like that. That was for power, running water, heat and air conditioning. That doesn't include lease or mortgage either, that was just utilities.

Then you add the cost of overhead, office supplies, office equipment, so on and so forth.

I know that the only reason Dell would buy anyone out (since Dell has been losing money as well) would be because they do it for dirt cheap.

I will say this once more and I am done with this thread. It is very hard to make a living purely off hardware sales because the mark up on them is really low. Plus you have to pay your dues to MS to become an licnesed reseller and OEM systems builder, or they will sue your pants off; and I bet they have way more lawyers than you do. I know this as a fact because a friend of mine worked for local company back in the day that got audited and sued by microsoft for breaking their systems builder LA.

Then you have to compete with everything and everyone else. Try advertising in your local free weekly magazine, every major city has one, a quarter page ad only costs you like $2,000.

I am not trying to crush your dreams I am just trying to be realistic about it. Like I said, if you can innovate some new business model and change it, then do it, however you will make the bulk of your money from supporting your product and charging for your services.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
I will say this once more and I am done with this thread. It is very hard to make a living purely off hardware sales because the mark up on them is really low.

^ Ditto. I make *maybe* 5% (and that's being super-liberal) of my income by hardware sales (custom-built systems, someone says 'I want a sweet video card added to my system', etc.). The real money is in service, maintenance, and repair (for Home Clients), and in my monthly 'spend a day at their office to repair/add/whatever they need from 9 to 5' for my Small Business ones.

D2jsp

I think this would be a good idea if your willing to put in the time.. I went to college and im still paying back my student loan. Also I would rather buy custom build computers from individuals then major companies because you know that 1 person cares about their company unlike dell, HP, ect.