Custom CPU fans won't spin but PC boots

Discussion in 'Desktop Computers' started by gelo3iverson, Dec 15, 2018.

1. gelo3iverson

gelo3iverson Member

Today I encountered a problem with my PC fans not spinning when I turn my PC on. It boots fine without problems but the fans won't spin unless I hit the back or the front side of my case gently. Help?

2. beers

beers Moderator Staff Member

Wouldn't advise doing that if you have a mechanical hard drive.

Make sure there's no wire preventing it from spinning, if it doesn't spin freely by hand when there's no obstructions then it's usually a fan bearing issue and it needs replaced.

3. _Pete_

_Pete_ Active Member

Or a loose connection either on the motherboard or in the fan motor itself. Or it could be in the power supply that supplies the power to the fans although that would affect all the fans. Hopefully not the motherboard because that would be a pig and a half to fix.

4. gelo3iverson

gelo3iverson Member

The motherboard is new.

5. gelo3iverson

gelo3iverson Member

Also, the fans are RGB and it lights up, but does not spin unless I apply force to the case.

6. johnb35

johnb35 Administrator Staff Member

The motherboard being new means nothing. How long has it been since you built this pc? Its very possible the motherboard is shorting out against the case. Did you install the standoffs correctly between motherboard and case?

7. gelo3iverson

gelo3iverson Member

Yes, and I think the motherboard ain't the problem since it's connected via the molex to the power supply.

8. johnb35

johnb35 Administrator Staff Member

Then its either the power supply or the fan. My guess is the fan itself.

9. gelo3iverson

gelo3iverson Member

OK so I powered off my computer for around 3 minutes and the fans spun when I turned it back on. However when I turned off my PC, went to sleep and turned it back on, the fans won't spin unless I apply force again.

10. OmniDyne

OmniDyne Active Member

The fans are bad.

Stop hitting your computer.

_Kyle_ and Darren like this.
  11. TheNamelessPoet

TheNamelessPoet Member

I don't know why. but this made me laugh SOOO hard lol

OmniDyne likes this.