Custom Homemade "Ducted Fan HDD Coolers"

MMM

I usually mount a fan at the bottom front of the case to push air over hard drives and motherboard, good air flow usually keeps the hard drives reasonably moderate in temperature range....never had a hard drive get to hot to burn you.

Hard drives are a resilient piece of equipment to heat.

wolfeking

banned
I do not know what you are on about really. My HDDs have never ran hot to the touch, much less in the 70s. With a modern drive, you should not get much heat at all. I would guess that somewhere in the mid 30s would be the max you would see unless you are ducting heat into the case.

wolfeking

banned
1. If the PSU is the hottest part of you case, you are not measuring temps. The hottest part of my case (and the only part that feels hot to the touch) is the PCB on the GPU.

2. Again, the HDD is only running 1 or 2 degrees above room temp. That means that the "warm" air is room temp.

3. 60*C on average right now.

wolfeking

banned
Heat does rise. But to say that is the reason for your hard drive being 70* is retarded. Blow it over your CPU, graphics, RAM, and HDD and you will still be far below 70* unless you sealed the case to not allow any air in.

MMM

Well that one was a pretty crowded case. But it wasn't "Sealed"; actually the side cover was off when I burned my fingers reaching in to do, (I forget what). Don't believe it if you don't want to; but that is the reason I have gone to the trouble of creating "Ducted Fan HDD Coolers" for my computers ever since then.
I think your ducted system is ok for your case(active cooling), but in reality your hard drive positioning in the case is a bad one if they were to get that hot.
Traditionally hard drives are placed in a position like the rest of the PC components to get some type of air flow to help keeping the hard ware from getting to hot. (Passive cooling)

claptonman

This would be good for a server and older systems, but like said, most new drives run cooler and most cases have plenty of cooling and room to space out your drives just fine.