Custom PC Help

vetteracer

Hello, I am new here and forgive me if this is in the wrong section.
I just finished putting my PC together. This is my second build.

Here is the Hardware

Lian Li Case
Intel D915pbl MB
P4-3.4
Envidia 5700 PCI-E-16
Modem
3 IDE optical devices (DVD Burner, DVD, 52X)
1 Floppy 3.5
PCI-IDE adapter card (For third IDE device).
3 SATA Hard Drives, 80 Gig WD, 250 Gig WD, 250 GIG Maxtor

I am having problems loading Windows XP Pro. I keep getting Error codes that inform me that windows has stopped loading to protect my computer. This codes about half way through windows loading the drivers in the beginning of the install. I got passes some of them and then I got a message saying there was no hard drive detected. They are all present in the BIOS.

I have the hard drives connected to the SATA ports. I am using the SATA cables with the small ends. And the devices are powered with the standard 4 pin cable. 2 CD ROMS are on the MB IDE Channel, and the third is on the IDE-PCI adapter.

I would appreciate any advice or help from anyone that has encountered this.

Also

The Optical drive that is on the PCI-IDE card is not responding, it will not even open up. I attributed this to the drivers not being loaded, as windows has not loaded up yet.

I was wondering if I should plug my hard drive into one of the 2 IDE plugs to load windows on, and unplug the SATA devices.

Would windows recognize them once it was up and running, or is there going to be issues if it is sending error codes on install?

Thanks
Mark

Last edited:

Bobo

banned
I would say, only plug in the hdd you have windows on. Boot windows up (try, anyway), then, if it works, plug in all the other ones.

Tim

vetteracer

Did just that.

I unpluged everything but 1 80 gig HD.

Computer boots up, I get the intel page, then a prompt to press any key to boot from CD (windows XP in optical drive 1).

Windows Setup begins to load,

Then "Welcome to Setup" page pops up.

Prompts to

1-Set up windows, press enter
2 to repair windows, Press R
3 To quit, press F3

I press Enter

And I get a page saying that there are no hard Drives installed on my computer.

Checked and the HD is getting power, it is spinning, even tried another HD.
They are all brand new.

The SATA cable is going to the SATA bus on the MB. ON the MB there are 4 SATA ports.

They are 0 - 1 - 2 - 3

I have tried them all.

In the BIOS, it sees a HD.
And in the BIOS, the "ALL SATA AND PATA RESOURCES ENABLED"

Mark

vetteracer

1- WD-80 GIG
2- WD-80 GIG
3- WD 250 GIG
4- Maxtor 250 GIG

I only have one of the WD 80 gig HD isntalled, I have tried them both.

I looked at the disk that came with the WD Hard drives. It says to boot from this disk if windows is not istalled. I did, it prompted for some selections, it counted for 5 seconds and kept loading. THen another prompt, I chose to exit.

Then it prompted to remove the disc, and re-boot my computer. I tried to install windows and have the same issue, no hard drive installed.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
i am having problems loading windows xp pro. I keep getting error codes that inform me that windows has stopped loading to protect my computer. This codes about half way through windows loading the drivers in the beginning of the install. I got passes some of them and then i got a message saying there was no hard drive detected. They are all present in the bios.
what error codes?
the optical drive that is on the pci-ide card is not responding, it will not even open up. I attributed this to the drivers not being loaded, as windows has not loaded up yet.
if the drive wont open, thats not a driver problem, its a drive problem

vetteracer

Thanks for the help, here is were I am at.

I have double checked everything and had a drive power plug un-pluged, so the drive is OK.

Everything is recognized in the BIOS, and the drives are set properly in the boot sequence.

Error codes are gone, and just stuck with not being able to have a HD recognized.

Tried a second known good drive and same thing.

Mark