Customize an old pc or build a new?

ikickbabies

New Member
Hey guys watsup, I'm kinda a noob at all of this and i really would appreciate it if you guys helped me out. I need a computer, which will be mainly used for gaming and i have two choices here.

I got this computer which has 1GB Ram, 2.80 Ghz, no video card and i don't remember the processor, and 60 GB hardrive. So should i completely overhaul this piece of shit or should i build an entire new pc roughly around the 800 - 900$ range, and if i should just build a new pc all together, can u guys give me some sugestions. I also don't want to buy most of the parts online because i do live in Canada so customs will become costly. Thanks.
 
Well without knowing the components in your current computer, it's hard to tell. The specs you names make me inclined to believe that it's an old single core Pentium 4 or Celeron rig, in which case you should absolutely build a new one.
 
I could get the exact specs, but its useless, the computer is practialy garbage. So im defiantely up for building a new computer, but need help with the components to use, like i said, I'ma complete noob at this.
 
Great, cheap rig right here.

NZXT Lexa S Case
Western Digital 500GB Sata, 3gbps
Gigabyte - GA-MA770-UD3, AM2+ Mother Board
Radeon HD 4850 1GB Video Card
Sunbeam PSU 680W
GeiL 2GB DDR2 RAM (Get two, great deal)
AMD Athelon II X2 Regor 3GHz

All for only: 580 at newegg I believe.

I went cheap on the processor because if you go good on the video card you wouldn't get really any difference with a 200$ compared to a 70$ one.
 
Great, cheap rig right here.

NZXT Lexa S Case
Western Digital 500GB Sata, 3gbps
Gigabyte - GA-MA770-UD3, AM2+ Mother Board
Radeon HD 4850 1GB Video Card
Sunbeam PSU 680W
GeiL 2GB DDR2 RAM (Get two, great deal)
AMD Athelon II X2 Regor 3GHz

All for only: 580 at newegg I believe.

I went cheap on the processor because if you go good on the video card you wouldn't get really any difference with a 200$ compared to a 70$ one.

That's terrible. Old DDR2 memory, old AM2+ mobo with equally old chipset, 4xxx series GPU, unspecified hard drive, and a downright awful power supply.

edit: And did you get that from newegg.com or newegg.ca?

edit: Here:

OS- Windows 7 HP 64 bit OEM- $120
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116754

CPU- Phenom II X4 810- $140
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103650

GPU- XFX Radeon HD5770- $172
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150462

Mobo- MSI 790X-G45- $105
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130249

RAM- G-Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB- $111
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277

PSU- OCZ Fatal1ty 550W- $80 (before $25 USD rebate)
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341022

Hard Drive- Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB-$60
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148395

DVD Drive- Lite-On iHAS224-06 - $31
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106333

Case- Rosewill Blackbone- $40
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147023

Total: ~$860 canadian, before shipping. It should be under $900 after you get the rebate back, unless there's some hideous tax I'm missing.
 
Last edited:
Thanks man, i really appreciate it, but is all of this easy to set up? and do i have to put windows 7 on it because i just see it as another 100$ for nothing, while i could live with windows xp. and is it missing a fan?
 
Last edited:
If you're able to transfer XP over, it'll work, though if you're planning on playing games, remember that you can't use DirectX 10 or 11 with it...

edit: Although, some people have made 10 work...just not officially....
 
Last edited:
Back
Top