:d :d :d :d :d

Ku-sama

banned
i talked my grandmother into some upgrade for Christmas/birthday for me

PNY VCG88GTSXPB GeForce 8800GTS 640MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail
Model #: VCG88GTSXPB
Item #: N82E16814133188
$459.99

KINGWIN ABT-520CW ATX 12V 2.0V Modular 520W Power Supply - Retail
Model #: ABT-520CW
Item #: N82E16817121001
$88.99

M
ichelle will be getting a new motherboard and my old PSU to accept my 6800GS

Last edited:

Saurian

Honestly, why not go with name brand?

Also, with that G80, you might think about trying to scrap together the cash for an upgrade to 2GB of memory, unless you're ready to make the DDR2 jump yet. Otherwise you're gonna limit yourself on your ram.

ceewi1

VIP Member
how about the 600W version with 2 more amps on each rail?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817121002
See for yourself:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/PSU/Absolute600W/
JonnyGURU said:
As you can see, the 600W didn't really do any better than the 520W.
I'd avoid the Kingwins. There's plenty of good PSUs around.

its not SLI, but the videocard needs 2 PCI-E connectors, so i want to get an SLI ready PSU
No, it doesn't. Only the 8800GTX requires the 2 PCI-E connectors.

Saurian

I'm with ^him.

Just pony up for a Hiper-R or nice Antec 500-600W PSU. PCP&C and OCZ are good but they seem to be a little more "premium".

ceewi1

VIP Member
The MSI units are made by Solytech, a division of Deer, who are one of the worst PSU manufacturers around. I wouldn't recommend it either.

My pick would be the Corsair HX520, $119 with free shipping from ZipZoomFly. That's only about $6 more than the MSI from newegg, once shipping is included. If that's a little overbudget, the OCZ GameXStream 600W is good as well, at under $100 after MIR. The Antec NeoHE500, or even Enhance 5150GH would be fine as well. Take a look at the recommendations in PSU101.

Last edited:

matt3118

Oh my god dude! When I read that I burst out laughing. That's so awesome... I wish my grandmother would give me that kind of Christmas present! Tell us how that video card works out when you get it, I've been dying to find someone with one to ask how it handles. I assume there isn't a game out there to slow it down, but I still need to know.

Ku-sama

banned
I'll have to redo windows when i get the card and all, i might even be upgrading to a dual core opteron which i'll figure out a way to overclock to some ridiculously high level...

ceewi1

VIP Member
Last edited: