D800 full resolution test samples

Spesh

Ok, so I got my D800 a few weeks ago which I have been playing around with quite a bit. I thought I'd post a few "sample" images done with a tripod to show what the 36mp sensor in this thing is capable of. The pictures that come out are quite incredible.

I will post more images, but for now (in the bottom right hand corner of the image are the zoom controls)....

D800 50mm 1.8D @ F8

D800 50mm 1.8D @ F8

D800 50mm 1.8D @ F8

D800 50mm 1.8D @ F8

D800 50mm 1.8D @ F8

D800 50mm 1.8D @ F11

D800 50mm 1.8D @ F5.6

D800 + 70-200 f2.8 VRII shot @ 200mm F4

D800 50mm 1.8D @ F6.3

D800 + Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8 shot @ 28mm F11

D800 + Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8 shot @ 28mm F11

None of these are particularly exciting, but the resolution is awesome. So much detail is retained in the image.

One thing that I have noticed on it though, is that I'm really only completely happy when I use my primes on it or the 14-24 f2.8. Even the Nikkor 24-70 just doesn't quite perform as well as I would like. The D800 is very picky when it comes to lenses.

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
Excellent! I've got a D3200, which has a 24.2 MP sensor (the same sensor as you'll find in the D5200 and the new D7100) and I'm equally as impressed as the resolution and 'crop factor' as you. I got one of my photos printed up and it looks great, so resolution is really good for that.

Great quality images and I am quite jealous of your D800 btw. :p

Spesh

Thanks man, I have added a few more.

Yes the 3200 has a good sensor. That's basically its trump card. I was shooting a D7000 prior to having the D800.

spirit

Staff member
Yeah the sensor and EXPEED 3 processor are why I got a D3200 over the older D3100.

Which lenses do you have for your D800?

Spesh

Lenses that I have for the D800 are:

- 14-24 f2.8
- 24-70 f2.8
- 70-200 f2.8 VRII
- 35mm f2 D Prime
- 50mm 1.8 D Prime

(All Nikon)

I'm going to pick up the Nikkor 105 VR macro lens next week and probably an 85mm 1.4 aswell.

Last edited:

Spesh

Damn good quality :good:

Yes, this camera really brings medium format quality to the DSLR world. The only problem being that it's only really happy using the sharpest lenses. If you have a look at the two shots that I took of the house the 24-70 gives good performance, but it's not quite up to the level of sharpness that the 50mm 1.8 produces. Prior to the D800, I thought that the 24-70 was pretty much faultless.

mr.doom

Could you post some of your thoughts about the D800? Any particular shortcomings or special advantages you noticed? The reason why I am asking is because next week I will be buying a new camera, and I am thinking either D800 (maybe even the E version) or Canon's 5D Mk III. I would appreciate your thoughts a lot. Thanks.

Spesh

Could you post some of your thoughts about the D800? Any particular shortcomings or special advantages you noticed? The reason why I am asking is because next week I will be buying a new camera, and I am thinking either D800 (maybe even the E version) or Canon's 5D Mk III. I would appreciate your thoughts a lot. Thanks.

The D800 is incredible. It is, without doubt the best SLR I've ever used. Not just because of the resolution, but the way it feels and handles. I love it. It lacks the custom shooting modes of the 5DMkIII... well.. it doesn't, but Canon put them on the control dial whereas Nikon bury them in a menu/and or Fn button press, but to be honest, I never use them, so it's no great loss to me, and it's the only thing I can fault with it. I think the files that come out of the D800 look much nicer than those that come out of the 5D MKIII aswell.

Also the viewfinder is just awesome and the AF is faultless.

However, I will say that the D800 is VERY fussy with lenses. It shows all lens flaws mercilessly. Even the 24-70 f2.8 Nikkor is hard pushed by this camera, especially at 24mm where focal plane curvature is visible, so be prepared to shell out on expensive glass if you buy this camera.

The only other things to think about really are the file size and the fact that this camera has a maximum burst rate of only 4fps due to the massive amount of data it has to move (5fps in 1.2x crop mode and 6fps in DX crop mode with battery grip). So it's not ideal if you want to shoot sports with a "spray and pray" technique. That said, the AF is more than capable of dealing with sports/action.

You'll need to make sure your computer/storage is up to scratch because these are the file sizes that the D800 produces....

22MB JPEG qual 12
42MB RAW
107MB 8bit TIFF
210MB 16bit TIFF

If you're after a camera that is a bit more of an all rounder and doesn't require such expensive lenses then the D600 would be a more suitable choice. What are you shooting at the moment?

Hope this helps

Last edited: