data corruption in my hard drive

mahdy_m_s

hi , guys ;
about month ago when i was sorting data in my laptop suddenly i get an error that was this: error 0x80070571 .The disk structure is corrupt and unreadable ;
after lots of search through web i found that may chkdsk command in cmd with /f switch can be helpful.
it was so but after a while , i mean yesterday i get a similar error through copping my data in a special drive .
the chkdsk was helpful again but i am afraid of happening this problem again .
what should i do preventing this error again ?
best regards and thank a lot .

strollin

Have you looked at the S.M.A.R.T data from your drive? Are there any informational or even critical alerts showing in Event Viewer? Your drive may be on the verge of failing. Make sure you have a doood backup.

Iceyn1pples

What brand is the hard drive? I would highly recommend a Diagnostic of it. Assuming this is your laptop hdd we are talking about, very good chance that its on its way out the door. I would buy a new drive to back up as much as possible after the chkdsk.

Hitchtech

What brand is the hard drive? I would highly recommend a Diagnostic of it. Assuming this is your laptop hdd we are talking about, very good chance that its on its way out the door. I would buy a new drive to back up as much as possible after the chkdsk.

Agreed. Back up your data NOW. Sounds like that drive is about to take a dirt nap.

strollin

If data is getting corrupted, defragging would make things worse, not better. Defragging involves many read/write operations which would greatly increase the chance of corruption.