Data Recovery /HDD/

PeterSW

Hey,
I am currently Recovering my data from a HDD, and now the saving process is runing, but i can't open the already saved files (they have size, but look just like an empty file). When the saving process is fully done, will i be able to open the files?

PeterSW

Sorry for not mentioning it lol, i am using 7-Data Recovery Suite Enterprise 4.1.
I wanted to use EaseUS Data Recovery, but i don't have much money to buy it right now, but planning :)

JaredDM

I just sent you a PM, but for the sake of others reading this I'll mention it here as well.

Usually, when you do a recovery and the files are all unable to open, it's because the software isn't properly recognizing the starting sector of the partition it's reading from. With certain filesystems, if the partition offset is wrong, it'll be reading all the data shifted and nothing lines up. Also, any files that are overwritten will be corrupt, but that seems obvious to mention.

Sometimes, by using better software it'll figure it all out. Other times, we have to manually figure it out, define a custom region on the drive, and scan that as a partition so it lines up. We see this happen most often when the drive was Mac formatted.