DDR3 memory compatibility

MTHex

Hi everyone. Hope you're all ok.

I have a question, recently a friend bought a RAM for his notebook, a 4GB DDR3 PC3-12800 (800 Mhz) and didn't work.

I bought in another shop the same kind of memory because we have the same laptop, and with the same specifications mine works just fine.

My question is, is there any factor that I should have in mind other than ["4GB - DDR3 PC3-12800 (800 Mhz)"] to buy a memory stick?

Or let me change the question, if I go to a store and ask for a 4GB DDR3 PC3-12800 (800 Mhz) for a notebook, is there any chance that the vendor could sell me a type that won't work on my machine?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

By the way we are talking of a Aspire E15 E5-573-38LD

Last edited:

MTHex

Hey Deerling7, I meant to say that we already bought the memory sticks.

I went to Store "x" and gave the vendor this specifications: 4GB DDR3 PC3-12800 (800 Mhz) for a notebook - My memory works just great.

My friend went to another local "y" in his country and gave the same specifications: 4GB DDR3 PC3-12800 (800 Mhz) for a notebook - the stick came in a closed blister but it didn't work.

So, the question is why? - is there any characteristic for DDR3 other than DDR3 PC3-12800 (800 Mhz) that can make it work in some laptops and not others?

That's the question, first time I recommend a type of memory and this happens, I think the stick doesn't work for manufacturer failure I tested it in my laptop also and didn't recognize it.

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
Sometimes if the CAS latencies aren't identical it can throw fits. Some brands are pickier than others, I know Dell's can be a bit nitpicky on what RAM sticks they'll take, even if the speeds match.

MTHex

Ok I'll have to study this, I never had to specify the latency of the RAM before buying it.

Thank you Darren, thanks to both for participate.

Darren

Staff member
Ok I'll have to study this, I never had to specify the latency of the RAM before buying it.

Thank you Darren, thanks to both for participate.
Usually you shouldn't but working in a shop I've seen certain laptops/models just be picky about RAM so I usually test each stick before selling it to the customer assuming they have their laptop on them.