DDWRT bin file (Which One)?

Da Mail Man

Greetings All,

I tried this with a Linsys router 10 (?) years ago and bricked the $h_ _ out of it-----ugh!.....I acquired another Linksys router WRT54-G (ver 2) and want to attempt this again...

Last time I did this, the router "locked up" after flashing, even leaving it on overnight. "That was all she wrote"...

Going to attempt this with the above (identical as to bricked one (V.2).....Looking at the DDWRT data base, mine is listed however, which one (file) is to be used?

**Any qualified assistance would be helpful**

Attachments

• WHICH ONE.jpg
    WHICH ONE.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 9

Da Mail Man

I would start here.

I did it years ago to same model of router and it worked fine, just don't remember how I did it.
I attempted the JTAG thing for hours after "bricking" but, wasn't successful......Who knows what went wrong....It is still sitting in a "storage bag" with thoughts that maybe someday.....well, who knows...I am VERY gun-shy about doing this one....

Intel_man

VIP Member
Technically any of them should work. The difference between mini and micro builds are what (features) gets shipped in the box.

Read through that chart to see what you need and install the version with it.

That being said... installing DD-WRT requires a very specific procedure that's often listed out on their forums. I would definitely start there.

Da Mail Man

Read through that chart to see what you need and install the version with it.
That is the foundation of my initial question...

That being said... installing DD-WRT requires a very specific procedure that's often listed out on their forums. I would definitely start there.
I AM aware of procedures.....I read all that years ago and, many times......The router showed (the bricked one) DDWRT was installed and when it rebooted, or attempted to, my old one got bricked....Looking at the list (picture previously attached) I am looking at files and - and - back to my initial question....

Da Mail Man

Dang I haven't seen that in like 20 years.
STILL THERE THOUGH....

What's your actual goal?
I thought my initial question answered that......Place ddwrt on my aquired router as stated.

802.11g is super poopy coming up on 2024.
regardless of how it is viewed, it meets what I need it to do or function....

There's a breakdown of packages per version:
That link to page I have never seen....will look at this tomorrow but, says v24..........

Last edited:

Da Mail Man

UPDATE---

1)...Approx 15 minutes ago, "I went all in" and obtained a bin file as written in one of the "instructions"...
2)...I copied that bin file to a flash drive...
3)...I followed the written instructions given and hit "upgrade", and waited per instructions....
4)...Amazingly, I didn't "--ck this up" ---YET...and got a message "successful"....
5)...I am looking at the DDWRT interface....

Here is some text of concern from the instructions -
  • When you get a message that the upgrade is successful, wait FIVE FULL minutes before continuing.
    DONE

• If you don't get success, repeat from steps 6 up to this one. If you still don't get success, clear your browser cache. Try using a different browser as well, to navigate to 192.168.1.1.
    N/A

• When you can access the dd-wrt webgui using a browser at 192.168.1.1, power cycle the router.
    ***I HAVE THE DDWRT INTERFACE ON---ARE THE INSTRUCTIONS TELLING ME TO UNPLUG THE ROUTER AND IF SO, MOMENTARILY?

• When you can again access the dd-wrt webgui using a browser at 192.168.1.1, do another HARD reset on the router.
    ***IF I DO THE "HARD RESET" (30-30-30), WON'T THAT CLEAR OUT EVERYTHING IN THE ROUTER INCLUDING THE DDWRT OS?...AT THIS POINT, I AM FEARFUL ABOUT REMOVING THE POWER!

• At this point you can choose to put a different build on, depending on what you needs are.
    • Initially I used the version as indicated above, but it was unstable. My ISP provides a download speed of 22 MB, but after a few days, I could not get more than 2 MB. Restarting the router solved this. After I installed a *vintage* build, my router is running stable. Use the VINT version recommended in the peacock announcement.
  • Reset your computer ethernet connection to auto IP and auto DNS

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
***I HAVE THE DDWRT INTERFACE ON---ARE THE INSTRUCTIONS TELLING ME TO UNPLUG THE ROUTER AND IF SO, MOMENTARILY?
That's what power-cycle means
***IF I DO THE "HARD RESET" (30-30-30), WON'T THAT CLEAR OUT EVERYTHING IN THE ROUTER INCLUDING THE DDWRT OS?...AT THIS POINT, I AM FEARFUL ABOUT REMOVING THE POWER!
No. The DD-WRT is firmware written on the ROM chip.
Initially I used the version as indicated above, but it was unstable. My ISP provides a download speed of 22 MB, but after a few days, I could not get more than 2 MB. Restarting the router solved this. After I installed a *vintage* build, my router is running stable. Use the VINT version recommended in the peacock announcement.
I assume this is a statement as you didn't do your crazy boldface type. Do you have a question?

Da Mail Man

Yes, "I have a question".....

1)...DDWRT is already on router...
2)...Do I have to do another reset?...
3)...Can I kill the power to this w/out crapping the router out (bricking)?

Da Mail Man

That's what power-cycle means

No. The DD-WRT is firmware written on the ROM chip.

I assume this is a statement as you didn't do your crazy boldface type. Do you have a question?
I only applied a comment in CRAZY bold to "stand out" from copy and pasted text from instructions.....

beers

Staff member
It'd be pretty silly to have a device that you could never turn off due to bricking itself.

Da Mail Man

Do you mean "pretty" silly as opposed to "ugly" silly?....Yeah, you are correct BUT, I remember what happened 10 years ago when it rebooted so-to-speak, it froze.......

Last edited:

Da Mail Man

ABSOLUTELY!.....
I will move it around with white gloves and only look at it through "Ray Charles" sunglasses but, only on a tuesday in a leap year!...grin..

Last edited:

Da Mail Man

Had another question about the "bricked" router previously mentioned......

I probably did this 10 (?) years ago but, figured I'd ask anyway.....I may attempt to "JTAG" the "brick" in the near future but, can a bricked router be "resuscitated" by a 30-30-30?