Dead Hard Drive?

i have a computer that will not boot,

i took the hard drive out and connected it to another computer with usb cable,

when i plug it in, the computer acknowlegdes/sees the drive, when i click on "computer" the drive is listed there as a secondary hard drive, however i can not view anything on it,

if i click "explore" it says the drive needs to be formatted first,

if i click properties it says the entire contents of the drive is "used"

i managed to run chkdsk /r from the c: command prompt, this process too about 12 hours to complete, it came up with ALOT of "file segment xxxx can not be read" or processed (cant remember the exact term,

is there any hope for this drive? if not, is there any way to at least recover the data?

when i go to command prompt and type F: (thats the drives letter) it pauses for about 20 seconds then it comes back with "data error (cyclic redundency check)"

this is preventing me from running any other programs from the command prompt

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Connect it directly to a system with a data cable and run the drive manufacturers disk diagnostic program if you can. But most likely the drive is shot. The only way to get data off of it is to send it to a pprofessional data recovery center and would cost hundreds of dollars.

Connect it directly to a system with a data cable and run the drive manufacturers disk diagnostic program if you can. But most likely the drive is shot. The only way to get data off of it is to send it to a pprofessional data recovery center and would cost hundreds of dollars.

thanks,

its a toshiba drive, i searched for a toshiba testing program but couldnt seem to find anything

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Toshiba has a testing program on Hiren's, but it's a POS piece of diagnostic software. You can just run something like the Samsung or Seagate Seatools diagnostic software on it.

Toshiba has a testing program on Hiren's, but it's a POS piece of diagnostic software. You can just run something like the Samsung or Seagate Seatools diagnostic software on it.

thanks......

unfortunately when i boot with the hirens cd the computer will not even recognize the drive, but if i boot in normal or safe mode it will :confused:

when i boot in normal mode (or safe mode) it will at least list the drive under "computer"

as a last resort i was trying to run defraggler, and it would not recognize the drive,

i was hoping to run sfc /scannow from command prompt, but command prompt wont recognize the drive,

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
thanks......

unfortunately when i boot with the hirens cd the computer will not even recognize the drive, but if i boot in normal or safe mode it will :confused:

when i boot in normal mode (or safe mode) it will at least list the drive under "computer"

as a last resort i was trying to run defraggler, and it would not recognize the drive,

i was hoping to run sfc /scannow from command prompt, but command prompt wont recognize the drive,

Most diagnostics won't detect the drive when it's running in ahci mode. Go into the bios and change sata setting to ide/compatibility.