Dead PSU?

Roads

I just bought this PSU http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16817103937. I was trying to test it out to make sure it works before I build my new PC. When I pulg it in and turn it on no fans come on. I know that one fan only comes on at a certain temperature but the other one I think should come on. Then I plugged in the molex connector to the PSU and the other end to my case fan, nothing. When I turn it on the lights in the room slightly flicker, so it's doing something. Also when I power it off after about 10 seconds it makes a faint chirp sound. Any ideas? Any tests I could do with a voltmeter? Perhaps it needs to be plugged into the mobo before anything would work? This is my first PC build so I'm stumped.

-Thanks

Roads

Please don't flame me for the accidental triple post. I already PM'd a moderator to delete the other threads.

sup2jzgte

Roads said:
Please don't flame me for the accidental triple post. I already PM'd a moderator to delete the other threads.

No flaming I was just joking around :) Does the fan on the power supply its self work?

Roads

no, but I just searched the forum and I think I have to be pluegged into a mobo. Otherwise the PSU is in a sort of standbye mode. It's the mobo that actualy turns it on. Can anyone confirm this?

spike27z

yeah, pretty sure you need a mobo. I was gonna try it too, as my rig came over 2 days, but my friend who was helping me out online said you need a mobo.

so yeah.

and on my psu, the fan only turns on as needed, dunno about you