Decisions decisions ...

Jimmeh

Hello everyone,

I'm looking into buying a laptop to serve as a secondary computer. It would be used for all the basic things like the net, email etc but also for some gaming, specifically titles like World of Warcraft, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, just my basic play-any-time-I-feel like games, where I'm always recieving invites from friends to drop into. Obviously I don't need a top of the range machine but it has to be capable up to a certain point, and after looking into it a bit I've come up with a choice of processors and GPUs.

My processor choices are between:
- Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T4200 (2.0GHz, 800MHz, 1MB cache)
- Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T6400 (2.0 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 Cache) for the processor.

As for the GPU, I have three options:
- 256MB ATI Mobility RADEON HD 4330
- 256MB ATI Mobility RADEON HD 3650
- 512MB ATI Mobility RADEON HD 4570

The Core 2 Duo T6400 is available with any of the GPUs apart from the HD3650 which is only available with the T4200 processor. The other two GPUs (HD4330 and HD4570) are available with either processor.

Which is the better choice of both components when my needs are taken into consideration? I was thinking the Core 2 Duo T6400 paired with the HD4570 but as I'm no whizz with components I thought best to ask.

Thanks for the help :)

Jimmeh

Well like I said, I want it for the basic things and for playing the aforementioned games, aswell as maybe some others, depending on what it can handle.

And I'm not sure about waiting for Windows 7 because I could really do with a secondary computer at the moment. Long story but suffice it to say, I need the ability to access a computer when the other ones in use by someone else.

Jimmeh

I don't mean to be pushy or anything but I could really do with some help. I don't know anything about the new tech :confused:

Jimmeh

Well the point is that the components I listed are available in different systems which are pretty much the same price.

My budget is about £500-£550, something like that, but I have no clue what that would be in dollars :p

As for what systems I'm looking at - I've been looking mainly at Dell because although I know one or two people who seem to have had negative experiences with them, I've had this Dell computer for 2 and a half years and not a single problem with them, even when a components needed replacing they've offered a great service.

It would just be awesome if I could get some feedback on which of the processors and GPUs I listed are the best, because as all the systems with the in are pretty much the same prices I'd obviously much rather choose a setup with the best components.

Also, what do you mean by the "RECOMMENDED requirements of the HD 4570"?

Jimmeh

Ok, thanks for the reply :)

Now, after quite a few hours digging around the net, looking at different laptops, checking out GPUs in my price range, and even pushing my budget up a bit, I've come up with a couple of contenders ...

Dell Studio 15
- Intel Core 2 Duo Processor P8600 (2.40Ghz, 3MB, 1066MHz)
- 4096MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x2048]
- 512MB ATI Mobility RADEON HD 4570
- 320GB (5,400rpm) SATA Hard Drive
- Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium SP1- English
- 15.6in Widescreen High Definition (1366x768) WLED with TrueLife
- 2.0 Mega pixel Integrated Web Camera
- Internal DVD+/-RW Slot Load Drive
- Primary 6-cell 56 WHr Lithium Ion battery
£629.00
http://configure.euro.dell.com/dell...en&m_30=111789&oc=N0653504&rbc=N0653504&s=dhs (I don't know if the link will work)

Novatech X55MV
- Intel T6400 Core 2 Duo Mobile 2MB Cache Processor
- 4GB DDR2 800MHz Memory
- Nvidia 9650M GT 1GB GDDR3 Graphics
- 250GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
- 15.4" WSXGA+ 1680x1050 TFT Screen
- 2.0 Mega pixel Integrated Web Camera
- DVD/RW Multi Burner
- 9 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
£665.85
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/range.html?t=nb&c=gaming&r=X55

Keep in mind that I want to be able to at least run (hopefully smoothly) World of Warcraft, Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress and if possible more of my games collection, which mainly includes titles released in the past few years.

I'm not expecting to run Crysis or any of the resource intensive games like that because at the end of the day I still have my desktop for those, but I would prefer to have a good range or games to play beyond those mentioned.

Although another system that caught my eye was the Acer Aspire 6935G (http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_6930G_Laptop_LX.ATQ0X.004/version.asp?PID=) which comes in at £50 more than the aforementioned Novatech system and £85 more than the Dell. It's an extra cost that I would really prefer not to pay out seeing as I've already stretched my budget by about £100 already, but it does seem to have better specs:

- Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 / 2.26 GHz ( Dual-Core )
- RAM - 4 GB (installed) / 4 GB (max) - DDR2 SDRAM ( 2 x 2 GB )
- Hard Drive - 320 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400 rpm
- Operating System - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
- Screen - 16' TFT 1366 x 768 ( WXGA ) - 24-bit (16.7 million colours) - CineCrystal
- Optical Drive - DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM / BD-ROM - integrated
- Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT - 512 MB
- Notebook Camera - Integrated - 1 Megapixel
£714.97

Opinions and suggestions would be very much appreciated :)

Jimmeh

Ok, well at the risk of sounding ungrateful or whatever ... is there any chance of a bit more than simple one sentence replies? Like why is one system better, what components are better/worse, how much better would it perform? Just something more indepth because I really am useless with all the tech stuff.

bomberboysk

Ok, well at the risk of sounding ungrateful or whatever ... is there any chance of a bit more than simple one sentence replies? Like why is one system better, what components are better/worse, how much better would it perform? Just something more indepth because I really am useless with all the tech stuff.

Basically the higher number card, the better it is. Eg- the 9600m gt is better than a 9500m gs. Also, the faster the cpu is, the better(when comparing intel to intel and amd to amd that is). The GPU on the novatech is just slightly better than the acer, but your getting a quite a bit better cpu on the acer.