defect pc

jesse kraus

dear internet people,

i have soooo many questions. first, my pc is crashing since a few days, i dont know why, does anyone else know why? it doesnt shut down like it should be doing, all the hardware just stops working at the same time. this happens a few times a day. maybe it is my psu, it is very hot weater and when i smelled my pc a while ago after a crash i smelled a burned something, and the smell was coming from the psu. after i found out it was overheated i cleaned all the fans up and i put my pc on its side, so the psu fan wont be directly on its side. after that its working fine kind of. but i still dont know if it is the problem.

question two:
i have a thing that i have to plug in to my pc, and then i can plug in several other usb things in that thing, but it stopped working. i dont know why, but it just doesnt work anymore. i had a few more times that it didnt work anymore, but then i just plugged it back in and everything worked again.

question three:
yesterday, when i had a internet problem, i ran windows troubleshooter, but without a reason or admin permission the troubleshooter deactivated my internet adapter. does anybody know why, because it was very annoying.

please help me, all these problems are happening at the same time, and its very annoying to fix them all at the same time.

my pc specs are not written down anywhere, but here is what i can remember:
cpu: amd athlon II 965 x4 3,4ghz (overclocked to 3,9ghz)
gpu: sapphire radeon r7 370 nitro 4gb
ram: three ram sticks, two of them are hyperx, the other i dunno. 16gb in total
motherboard: some weird japanese brand, but it works fine.
psu: no idea
case: neos bitfenix closed sides
storage: i dont know
btw, one of my ram slots is broken, maybe that has something to do with it? of course that slot is empty currently.

beers

Staff member
Does it do the same if you remove the overclocks?
my psu, it is very hot weater and when i smelled my pc a while ago after a crash i smelled a burned something, and the smell was coming from the psu
Replace it with a quality unit.

jesse kraus

well, it crashes when i overclock it higher and i balanced everything perfectly so nothing would crash. it worked good for months, but now it suddenly doesnt. and my problem is money, i cant just replace something without any money

beers

Staff member
well, it crashes when i overclock it higher
That's a given, you aren't able to overclock infinitely.

but now it suddenly doesnt. and my problem is money, i cant just replace something without any money
How about removing the overclocks and testing? That doesn't cost anything.

Depending on the clocks and voltage used you could see some degradation of components over time where they can't reach the same frequencies.

Laquer Head

well, it crashes when i overclock it higher and i balanced everything perfectly so nothing would crash. it worked good for months, but now it suddenly doesnt. and my problem is money, i cant just replace something without any money

I guarantee this isn't true.. when someone doesn't even know what motherboard they have and are using an unknown 3rd stick of ram, I have zero confidence in your assertion.

Job... get one!

jesse kraus

I know the name of both parts, but they are written down somewhere. I just cant find them right now. If u want the names i can give u them tomorrow

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I think you better start with a new power supply and go from there. Wow, those specs are sure different then what you originally reported.

jesse kraus

Thank you! But yeah, i changed a lot. First i only played games like minecraft, but when the games get heavier the equipment also gets heavier

okay, i downclocked my pc to normal (3,4ghz). i cleaned it up, the weather cooled down, but still, crashes. i even put a normal fan next to my pc, to cool the psu (and the gpu). i almost know for sure the psu is the problem, but i dont know what causes it. i read that the gpu or cpu may doesnt get enough power, which sounds reasonable to me because i also have graphics card driver crashes very often. but it could also be the heat, because i can toast bread on my psu at the moment. i actually dont believe my psu cant give enough power, because it is 550W and my graphics card is 500W, and the rest of the hardware even lower.

btw, the problems never occured before, until the weather got like 30-35 degrees celsius, but even now, when it is only 20 again, the crashes dont seem to go away

i think i know the problem. i smelled a very heavy burning smell. when i came closer to my pc the smell got stronger, even stronger when i got to my psu and gpu. and the psu was hot as hell.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darren

Staff member
Thank you! But yeah, i changed a lot. First i only played games like minecraft, but when the games get heavier the equipment also gets heavier

okay, i downclocked my pc to normal (3,4ghz). i cleaned it up, the weather cooled down, but still, crashes. i even put a normal fan next to my pc, to cool the psu (and the gpu). i almost know for sure the psu is the problem, but i dont know what causes it. i read that the gpu or cpu may doesnt get enough power, which sounds reasonable to me because i also have graphics card driver crashes very often. but it could also be the heat, because i can toast bread on my psu at the moment. i actually dont believe my psu cant give enough power, because it is 550W and my graphics card is 500W, and the rest of the hardware even lower.

btw, the problems never occured before, until the weather got like 30-35 degrees celsius, but even now, when it is only 20 again, the crashes dont seem to go away

i think i know the problem. i smelled a very heavy burning smell. when i came closer to my pc the smell got stronger, even stronger when i got to my psu and gpu. and the psu was hot as hell.

You just described nearly every symptom of a dying power supply outside of an explosion and toasting the rest of your components. Do not use that computer until you replace the power supply or you very likely will kill the whole system. This should be obvious at this point.

jesse kraus

Ok, i read the last message a little too late, but hear this when i booted the pc up this morning for school things, it already crashed after a few Minutes. I dont know why, because everything was still cold as ice.

jesse kraus

After that i thought it would be best to not start it up anymore. I dont buy a new psu immediately because im 14, so i dont have money