defective motherboard?

kenny1999

If a motherboard has one tiny defect that makes it little bit less than flawless, will it still work or will it just stop working at all and the whole system will not work?

I took my PC to a local shop for test and repair and the man reported to me that the motherboard was imperfect, partially failed but it can still function, the PC still boots, and the Windows 10 still work.

I've got to look at other forums and it's said that a motherboard is usually 1 or 0. Total or Zero. Never partially failed. If it works, it's perfect, if it's defective in one single part, it does not work totally

Who is true?

beers

Staff member
Depends on the function and what is impacted.

Onboard NIC fails, no real impact to the rest of the system other than the NIC dying. Same with other add on features like SATA, USB3, Audio, etc. Some components of the board or cpu/memory-controller can fail such as dimm slots being damaged or only a single channel of RAM functioning correctly.

What exactly did they tell you about it, other than vague 'part of it is broken'?

kenny1999

Depends on the function and what is impacted.

Onboard NIC fails, no real impact to the rest of the system other than the NIC dying. Same with other add on features like SATA, USB3, Audio, etc. Some components of the board or cpu/memory-controller can fail such as dimm slots being damaged or only a single channel of RAM functioning correctly.

What exactly did they tell you about it, other than vague 'part of it is broken'?

The problem of PC started with strong smell coming out from time to time. It went away soon but the smell came again in a few days or weeks that I couldn't bear anymore.

After his test, here's what he told me ,
1. PSU likely had one leg in the grave. You can see burnt components with naked eyes.
2. "South bridge" of the motherboard is not working perfectly, but it still works, however, it could risk damaging other hardware, replacement of motherboard is recommended.
3. One of the HDD is aging and I told him that the SMART test and generic test for that drive was PASS, he then said their shop has "professional" and "advanced" software to test for hardware failure, instead of using things like seatool or other simple diagnostic tools

<<< Only PSU failure makes sense to me, however, I doubt his point 2 and 3 were true