Defrag problem!

tkcrabby

Ok , Guys here goes,,, for a longggggg time now I hadn't "defraged" my machine, I mean a long lone time. Anyways, the thing has been running much slower of late so I thought I'd run disk cleanup, defrag and also ran the Error Checking utility.

Everything came out fine Except for one thing,,,,,,,,, the Defragmenting took from 10:00 in the morning till 7:00 at night (that's 9 hours! :() AND when it was done the report showed more than a few files that it said "Could not be defragmented", some as large as 1,200 MB and as few as 50 Mg,, why did this happen? AND is there anything I can do or even need to do to correct this?

My machine is running some faster BUT I want to take care of this IF I can and try to get things right because I have to make due with this machine for a good while yet.................

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
How old is this machine? You have any free space left on your drive? You need at least 15 percent free space in order to use windows defrag.

TFT

VIP Member
More than likely a large one is the "Page File", I usually disable page file, defrag and re enable.

tkcrabby

More than likely a large one is the "Page File", I usually disable page file, defrag and re enable.

Thanks , I'll try that .

About turning off "Page File" , I looked around a bit online and found a post that said if you have a machine with 1 GB memory or more that it would make a machine faster if this was tuned off anyways, my machine has 1 GB memory so I did it but can't tell that it's any faster,,,,,,,,,, almost seems to be a little slower.............. any thoughts on this?

kookooshortman55

The large files also could be system restore points. I remember I would actually lose space every time I defragged. I had to delete the shadow copies in Disk Cleanup after every defrag. I disabled system restore and now it's working fine.

I would also recommend defragging with Defraggler, especially if it takes a while to defrag. Defrag individual files first, then defrag the whole drive. It will go much faster.

Jeanne

banned
Hi, I think you should do something to enable defragmentation to run smoothly.

Before defragmenting disk, you should do something in advance.

1. You should clean up the junk files and information.

Since your system work for a long time, the junk files may cram many unconscious operations may result in junk files. They are temporary files when installing the programs, cache files after browsing, DLL files left by deleting software and error files produced by shutting down the computer forcedly.

It is common that most users are inclined to use the disk cleaning up programs in the Windows, at the same time, you can also turn to certain more powerful defragmenter to help you.

2. You should check and restore any mistake in the hard disk.

Of course, you can have a try of the Disk Scan Program of Windows firstly. Although it really takes a lot of time to repair it, as long as you are patient enough, the most errors and mistakes can be restored after complete and detailed scanning.

You can see more methods to fix defragmenting problems in: http://ezinearticles.com/?Disk-Defragment---Why-I-Cannot-Continue-to-Defragment-Disk&id=3165935