Defragmenting a Hard Drive with Windows Vista

2048Megabytes

Active Member
Why is when I try to defragment my hard drives with Windows Vista it says this operation is not needed? I used to defragment my hard drives at least once a week when I had Windows XP.

Is the Windows Vista operating system more efficient at organizing clusters on your hard drive than XP is?
 
i dont do much with vista(dont even have it) but maybe IT thinks you dont need it. i would simply do it.
 
Tune-up utilities is the one I'm using to defrag my hdd. It's a very good program, because you have plenty of more tools to make your computer faster.
 
try runing in a cmd with admin rights
"defrag C:\ -w -f"

if that works, open notepad and put that in it and save it as defrag.bat and the file type as any. then right click it and go to properties. go to compadability>show settings for all users, run as administrator. then you can run it when ever
 
Windows vista does its degragmentation automatically in the background without you having to do anything. If I were you and really wanted to do some defrag or just analyze the disk do like brian said go run cmd DEFRAG C: -A (do the a just analyze) for defrag just do DEFRAG C: -F -V

If you miss the pretty gui like everyone else said get some third party software. Most claim you won't need to degrag the hard disks when using windows vista. I think that is what people who run servers do, they run defrag in the background so they have to shut down the servers less often than they would otherwise.
 
I don't think the disk defragmenter is that good with Windows Vista. The operating system was telling me there was no need to defragment the hard drive and it didn't even give me the option to defragment. It had been about three weeks since it was last defragmented. I ran the Auslogics Defragmenter program and it was arranging fragmented files on my hard drive. The longer you go without defragmenting your hard drive the more fragmented files you end up with (and obviously you end up with slower performance from your hard drive).
 
reelkill is right, Vista defrags itself and you'll never even know it. I can still have the option to defrag myself if I want but I have mine set to every Thursday. It cleans itself:)
 
Why is when I try to defragment my hard drives with Windows Vista it says this operation is not needed? I used to defragment my hard drives at least once a week when I had Windows XP.

Is the Windows Vista operating system more efficient at organizing clusters on your hard drive than XP is?

I believe that Vista automatically defragments your hard drive at times. I remember disabling that on my laptop.
 
Back
Top