Deleting a file

hells3000

A file on my desktop does not want to go in my recycle bin.
Windows shoes as this file is used by someone or a program.
thanks

PC eye

banned
Have you right clcked on it to see what the name is and what type? Unless downloaded directly to the desktop which I usually advise against you may have some adware that put something there if it's unfamiliar. You have to end the program or process remaining active and have the permissions to delete it.

Luke.

If it's something you know already is safe, a simple restart will cure it. If you have already tried a restart I suggest running an anti-virus scan and an anti-spyware scan. However, make sure that the process isn't running (if it is an application). Most often it's a folder, or other document, that you've opened before wanting to delete it. As I say, a restart will simply fix this for you.

I hope it turns out the simple for you.

EDIT: IxBLACKHEARTxI just got there before I did. Sorry.

hells3000

iwas trying to burn a disk with nero and the disk did not work and I think what ever I was doing saved it self...

How can I know whats processing this file?

Last edited:

Luke.

If it's just a simple document, like a Nero saved file, a restart should sort out the problem for you.

PC eye

banned
You can also right click on the taskbar to bring up the taskmanager and open the processes tab to see what is active. Since you were trying to burn something to disk the taskmanager or system restart as advised by others should clear this up. Nero is apparently not shutdown fully where he file is free for deletion.

Did you see a good burn? Obviously the file belongs to something you were burning to removable media there. Make sure that is found on the disk before deleting it.

You can also right click on the taskbar to bring up the taskmanager and open the processes tab to see what is active. Since you were trying to burn something to disk the taskmanager or system restart as advised by others should clear this up. Nero is apparently not shutdown fully where he file is free for deletion.

Did you see a good burn? Obviously the file belongs to something you were burning to removable media there. Make sure that is found on the disk before deleting it.

Right, like a temporary file for a CD burn. I can't boot my system after a bad burn, with disks in the drives, for some odd reason it blue screens. Oh well, give us a shout if you get this fixed.:)

haha

Have you right clcked on it to see what the name is and what type? Unless downloaded directly to the desktop which I usually advise against you may have some adware that put something there if it's unfamiliar. You have to end the program or process remaining active and have the permissions to delete it.

i no this is really off topic...but i didnt wanna start a thread for this since its in this one....pc eye...u said u wouldnt download directly to desktop? y not? i usually do that:eek: thanks

PC eye

banned
Depending on the download for whatever that is like some new utility it will go into a temp folder. If it works out it is then moved into a more permanent folder for later backup. The old train of thought is the quick and visible instructions given to download to the desktop for temp use and you are left with a new item in a folder unfamiliar but under your user account name in the "C:\DocumentandSettings\user name\desktop" folder. But could you imagine what your desktop would look like with all these files on it? :confused: :eek:

I think you can now understand the term "organizing folders". :p

PC eye

banned
I think you mistyped that one with "Xs" instead of the usual "t"s there. Let's see now the link there depends on where you are located in order to connect to it. You will have to post an alternative site for that.

PC eye

banned
I thinkest it might have worked!

Unlocker 1.8.5

Publisher's Description:

Unlocker is a Windows Explorer extension allowing you with a simple right-click on a file or folder to get rid of error message such as error deleting file or folder, cannot delete folder: it's being used by another person or program. Simply right click the folder or file and select Unlocker. If the folder or file is locked, a window listing of lockers will appear. Select the lockers and click Unlock and you are done.

When one comment on the utility asked about a Vista version I simply found the answer to that. http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/8848/unlockerih1.jpg

colocolo

i found by running windows in safe mode in command promt u can get rid of any unmovable files.

been doing it 4 years

PC eye

banned
Not always! I already tried that when the RC1 beta version of Vista was first ran here last fall. The files found in a sub folder along with the sub folder where eventually removed while the "boot" folder was simply "untouchable" with the constant "access denied" error long after the second was wiped and XP Pro was installed there.

The primary still sees that folder now being used on the XP Home drive with the Vista Home Premuim edition replacing XP Pro. That went on the first sata. But the eventual wipe of the XP Home primary drive for the now overdue fresh install will require reinstalling Vista again since the current boot manager for the new version is on the primary ide. :eek: ! (oh well. :p )