Dell D610 battery

jimtr6

I have a problem with the battery charging, the laptop runs fine with the ac adapter, it has a brand new battery, (the second one now because i thought the first battery was defective) so it is not a battery issue. With a volt meter I checked the pins on the bottom of the laptop that go to the battery and kept the adapter plugged in, nowhere on any of those pins (and why so many for a mere positive and negative!)is there any voltage near the 14.8 VDC the battery needs to charge. It's as if there is a disconnect between the adapter (which reads 19 VDC) and the laptop battery. The computer runs fine with the adapter plugged in but dies immediately on unplugging the adaptor

jimtr6

apparently solved

I'll pass this along in case someone encounters this, I have two ac adapters, one is OEM Dell, the other an Ebay replacement that powers the laptop just fine but apparently is not recognized by the Dell in BIOS. I had the cheap replacement plugged in all the time and after seeing the BIOS info I had a rare moment of sequential process of elimination troubleshooting clarity and plugged in the Dell adapter. Apparently voltage even though is merely two conductors carries ID information.

Agent Smith

Yes. From time to time (hasn't occurred in a long time though) my non OEM power adapter will cause BIOS to flake out.