Dell Dimension 1100: Upgrade or Start New?

JD3V3N3Y

A while back I got a Dell Dimension 1100. Here are what the specs were:
-CF458 Dell Dimension B110/1100 DT Motherboard
-Intel Celeron CPU 2.53GHz
-Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2
-250 W Power Supply
-256 MB RAM
------------------------------------
Recently, I changed the OS to Xubuntu 10.10 and even more recently, I found my sister's old Dell Dimension 1100(Exact same specs), and took the 256MB RAM out of that and put it in mine so now it has 512MB RAM. Anyway, to my point. I can't decide whether to stick with the 2GB RAM and Single Core Processor only limitations on the current motherboard, or just to scrap the motherboard and start from scratch. The best specs I can get it up to is this:
-CF458 Dell Dimension B110/1100 DT Motherboard
-ATI Radeon HD 3450 w/512 MB Video Memory
-2GB kit (1GBx2), 184-pin DIMM, DDR PC3200 memory module
-Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 530/530J (1M Cache, 3.00 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)
-250 W Power Supply
------------------------------------
So basically, I need to know whether it would just be better to scrap it and start new, or if those specs are good enough for a few low requirement games(Minecraft, Source Engine Games, Etc.) and mostly music related programs.
Thanks!
-JD3V3N3Y

jonnyp11

i'd say it coulkd prob play those games some but really i wouldn't put any more than 50 bucks towards that p.o.s. max

onipar

Yeah, for the amount of money it takes to build a new computer from scratch, you're better off starting fresh. I recent;y put a build together that (not counting the monitor) came to only $350. Not a gaming machine or anything, but a decent build for basic use. And if you're using Xubuntu, you won;t have to worry about the extra OS expense! :)

My current computer is actually a Dell Dimension E510. Over the years I've added a few things (new PSU, extra RAM, 2nd HDD), but I wouldn't bother going much further than this.

Last edited: