dimension4100
New Member
Hello all:
Let me start by saying I'm in no way a computer whiz...I know my stuff, baisics, etc. So this will be my first endeavor of the pc building sort.
I'm going to acquire a Dell Dimension 4100 here pretty soon. As you may know it's an older machine...The one I'm looking at has Windows 98 SE, 256 RAM, a 10GB HDD and a Pentium 3.
What I plan to do with this dinosaur is install another 256MB of RAM to bring it up to a respectable 512MB. I also want to paint the cases a newer black color, and buy a wireless adapter and set it up for my home network. I know this won't be a speed demon with it's older hardware, but I think it will be capable of running Mozilla, OpenOffice, baisic functions.
There is one question I have. I would like to know if a newer Dell HDD for an Optiplex will work with my machine. I looked on eBay and found that the upgrades for my HDD are compatible with the newer Optiplex Series. The HDD's I have in question have XP I think. This is why, (in addition to more storage) I would like to see if this is really possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Questions and comments welcome.
Thanks!
Tyler.
Let me start by saying I'm in no way a computer whiz...I know my stuff, baisics, etc. So this will be my first endeavor of the pc building sort.
I'm going to acquire a Dell Dimension 4100 here pretty soon. As you may know it's an older machine...The one I'm looking at has Windows 98 SE, 256 RAM, a 10GB HDD and a Pentium 3.
What I plan to do with this dinosaur is install another 256MB of RAM to bring it up to a respectable 512MB. I also want to paint the cases a newer black color, and buy a wireless adapter and set it up for my home network. I know this won't be a speed demon with it's older hardware, but I think it will be capable of running Mozilla, OpenOffice, baisic functions.
There is one question I have. I would like to know if a newer Dell HDD for an Optiplex will work with my machine. I looked on eBay and found that the upgrades for my HDD are compatible with the newer Optiplex Series. The HDD's I have in question have XP I think. This is why, (in addition to more storage) I would like to see if this is really possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Questions and comments welcome.
Thanks!
Tyler.