dell g5 se storage

prop

i don`t use this computer much but i think the solid state hard drive is missing. when i go into the storage settings all i see is the 220 gb in the os(c:). there use to be another 500 gb solid state (?) drive also but now i don`t see it.what happened? thanks for any help

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Go into disk management and see if its there. If not, open the case and see if its disconnected.

prop

nothing shows in disk management , but it use to. opened it up but i don`t see anything disconnected. i can physically see the 220 gb , but don`t see any other storage device.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you open it up and only see 1 drive then thats all there is. My question is, you won't have a 220gb hard drive. Go into device manager, expand the disk drives section and read the model number listed. It's possible the drive is bigger but its only has 1 partition on it now.

prop

it use to show 2 storage options , but now 1 is gone it was the larger option i believe 500 gb.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
All it shows currently is the nvme drive. If it used to show another drive and it's not inside tbe case then its not there. Don't know what else to tell you. Either someone took it out or it was never tbere.

prop

i got a samsung ssd 980 itb and plug it into the other slot next to the 256g that is already there, but it doesn`t show up .

prop

well i got it to show up in device management and got it to initialize but it still doesn`t show in storage on other drives

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You need to partition the drive before it will show up in Windows Explorer. Show me an image of disk management.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like you got it. However, none of those images were of Disk Management.

This is disk management. If you would have opened this and seen the drive listed but it showed unallocated space then all you would have needed to do is right click on that and click on create new volume and partition it the way you wanted it. Then it would have appeared in Windows Explorer.

Disk management.jpg