Dell Inspiron 5000

jp198780

yeah, just got another laptop :) , im wanting 2 know what the max ram s 4 this, it already has 384, thats probrably the max? can anybody tell what the max may be? thanks.

jimmymac

VIP Member
Envytech said:
The memory modules are "144-pin PC100 SoDIMM CAS2/CL2 non-parity" and any combination of the two can be used up to a maximum of 512MB

wonderful world of google :D

jp198780

this is being clocked at 696MHZ, the original clock is 933MHZ, is there any way i can get the other 300MHZ or soo back?

Mattu

I sounds like SpeedStep is doing it. Turn off the computer, plug it in to an outlet (with it's AC adapter) and turn it back on and see what happens. (you should get the extra speed back)

jp198780

i just turned the laptop on a couple minutes ago, with the AC adapter plugged in.

should i shut down, and do that over?

LaptopExtreme

VIP Member
Yes. Your processor jumps up and down in speed when needed. So idling would bring you down, if you were doing heavy processing, it'll climb up.

Mattu

Yeah I think you can, go to your BIOS setup menu and find something that has to do with SpeedStep and set it to Maximum Performance. (at least that's how it's done on my Thinkpad) If you set to run at full speed all the time your battery life will be cut short.

LaptopExtreme

VIP Member
The computer is smart enough to accel to max when needed. You'll be fine. I forget what you have to do to make it run at max when plugged (since it's not in front of me), but most old systems have a default to run at max when plugged anyways. Sometimes its doesnt register correctly also that it's running at max. Even if it was at max, you probably wouldnt see any difference at all, because it's usually switches lower when its idling. Why switch to max process when idling? It'll only increase battery usage, wear n tear, heat, and sometimes fan noise.

jp198780

well i went into the BIOS, and it was set as Automatic, 4 SpeedStep, i set it 2 Maximum Performance, but it was still running at696MHZ, then i tryed it without the adapter plugged in, and still only 696MHZ?

jp198780

ok, well, the 5000, i was in the BIOS, and made sure the SpeedStep thing wasnt at default, it was at Max. Performance. and it's still at 696?